Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Exclamation (UPDATED W/IMAGE SAMPLES!) HOT! NEW CV 25MM f0.95 NOKTON!

Update 03/09/2010: IMAGE SAMPLES!: Samples at 43Rumors Looking good?

HOT! NEW COSINA-VOIGTLANDER 25MM f0.95 NOKTON!

Hey everyone... at the time of writing my face is stuck like this --> - I'm in awe at the speed of the lens... and the price tag.

As we're in the run up to Photokina, a few sources online anticipated that a few new fast primes (from Panasonic?) would be coming. But boy! I bet no one saw the "f0.95" coming!

This new Nokton may be pricey at 900 Euros but (in my opinion) but CV have a history for providing some good value for money lenses (Such as both the 35 1.4 and 40 1.4 Noktons) and some more pricey but very stellar lenses (IMO of course) such as the 35 1.2 and 50 1.1 Noktons.

In my opinion the new Nokton is definately going to give the micro four-thirds system a massive lift, it shows that the system is gaining support, and I believe CV have been very clever in designing and releasing this lens for m4/3rds. This is because as we all know, micro four-thirds have slightly poorer high ISO performance than other systems and faster lenses with wider apertures will definately help, but also because there is a lack of fast native lenses for the format, whilst similar lenses with an adaptor often suffer from vignetting and the Noktor 50mm f0.95 is double the focal length and it's image quality is questionable.

Here's a link to more info at 43rumors:

43 Rumors | Home

43rumors original source(google translated):
    Google Translate

Finally I have my fingers crossed that this is only the start of new things to come to the system. [I]It seems CV has listened to the demand for fast prime lenses for the format... now if only they listened to demand for a rangefinder-like body [/I

Update:

1. Official Cosina joins the micro four thirds group of companies OLYMPUS | News Release: COSINA CO., Ltd. Joins the Micro Four Thirds System Standard Group

2. Cosina's official website updated (Google translated link):
    Google Translate

3. Price seems according to 43rumors might be 749Euros instead of 899Euros :D

Credit to 43rumors.com, it's a site I follow daily, and IMO it's a great source for rumors about micro four thirds - they were right about the E-PL1, G2 and G10 in the past, so I'd recommend taking a look at their site once in a while, especially with Photokina coming up ;-)
    Last edited by vincechu; September 3rd, 2010 at 06:20 AM. Reason: 1. Thought I'd polish up my post and make it more front-page worthy ;-) 2. Added more information
    Vince

Comments or contructive feedback is very welcome and will be very appreciated

Had: Panasonic G1 + 14-140mm + 20mm

Visit my Flickr here

2. The following 9 members thank vincechu for this post:

Most likely I will buy this lens

You beat me to it..

I think I am going to have to sell some lenses and get another job to fund this.
    Last edited by hmpws; August 25th, 2010 at 07:23 PM.

Real Name
    Amin

I'm excited to see CV lenses being designed for MFT .
    Amin
    Mu-43.com Webmaster (Site FAQ | Help Forum | My Disclosures | My Flickriver | My G+ Profile)

You can help pay our server bills when you buy anything online: http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=55354

Quote Originally Posted by Vidar View Post
    Most likely I will buy this lens
    me 2

The lack of AF will likely put many people off, but those same people would probably be right put off by the price tag alone.

What I'm curious about is if, despite the lack of AF, the lens is fully electronically compatible with the system and will properly report information for EXIF data. Otherwise it looks like a regular MF lens (no AF, manual aperture control ring) with an m43 mount thus precluding the need for an adapter.

Still, it's a very nice win for m43 to have another manufacturer putting out product, even if it is a very niche product. Hopefully this isn't the only glass we will see out of CV. Fingers crossed!!
    [ everythingsablur ]
    Olympus E-P3 (black) + VF-2, Panasonic GF1 + LVF1
    Panasonic lenses: 7-14 f/4, 14-140mm f/4-5.8 HD, 20mm f/1.7, PL 25mm f/1.4, PL 45mm f/2.8 Macro, 100-300mm f/4-5.6
    Olympus lenses: 12mm f/2.0, 14-42mm II R f/3.5-5.6, 15mm f/8 BCL
    Legacy: Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 SSC
    Flashes: Olympus FL-50, FL-300R

Isn't that a lot of money for a normal 50mm prime? Now if it was a 35 then.......
    http://www.jonkobeck.com
    http://www.facebook.com/jonkobeck

“if you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice” ~Noam Chomsky

Man... That's a really nice lens but quite a bit of money.

Hopefully, this is a sign of good things to come for m4/3s. :]

Smile

Thanks for the replies everyone, I agree it is a lot of money, but CV has a history of providing good glass (IMO), hopefully they'll deliver this time too. Also lLet's not forget that sometimes photography equipment often sells 25%-33% of the RRP (well atleast here in the UK)

My 21st birthday happens to be around the time this lens is released for sale... good timing?

Jonkobeck, yes it is a 50mm equiv, but what's makes it stand out is the 0.95 aperture, very desireable for lowlight photography and shallow DOF. To my knowledge making lenses with very wide maximum apertures makes it harder to produce better image quality with less imperfections and is harder to manufacture, I guess these factors contribute to the high price of the lens.
    Vince

Comments or contructive feedback is very welcome and will be very appreciated

Had: Panasonic G1 + 14-140mm + 20mm

Visit my Flickr here

this is definitely an interesting release. shame about all the naysayers in the 43rumors comments :(

my current lenses are the Panny 20/1.7 and the Nokton 50/1.1. both great lenses, but this one slots painfully in the middle! in terms of DOF, my 50/1.1 beats it (45mm aperture vs 26mm for the 25/0.95) however this is at twice the focal length so it's not quite fair to compare. against the 20/1.7 though it can be compared, and it will be twice as good :)

unfortunately my 50/1.1 is a bit too "dreamy" (soft and flares in the daytime) wide open, and i suspect the same of this new 25/0.95.

the big disadvantage though (apart from MF) is that it is too close to the nearly flawless panasonic-leica 25/1.4 for comfort. granted the leica needs an AU$140 43-m43 adapter...

i think i will wait for panasonic's response... photokina hurry up!!

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast