Ads by Google

Amazon

B&H Photo

Adorama

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Grr...how do I get the OM-D to number the files sequentially?

Hi guys,

My OM-D seems to be numbering files depending on the day I took the pictures. It's bloody annoying. I just want it to number them 0000 to 9999 in a sequential manner. How do I get it to do this...I can't seem to find the correct setting. Also, do they all re-use numbers when you delete pictures? Mine seems to be doing this thing where if I take a picture - let's say file number 187, then delete it...then the next picture I take is still 187 (whereas on a Canon it would be 188). This isn't a huge deal, but I like to know how many shutter actuations my cameras have...

Thanks!

Real Name
    Jim

Hi Lowrider!

Manual, page 91:

Menu/Gears/H

[Auto]: Even when a new card is inserted, the file numbers
    are retained from the previous card. File numbering
    continues from the last number used or from the highest
    number available on the card.
    [Reset]: When you insert a new card, the folder numbers
    starts at 100 and the file name starts at 0001. If a card
    containing images is inserted, the file numbers start at the
    number following the highest file number on the card.

------------------------------------------------------------

SHUTTER COUNT PROCEDURE:

1. With a charged battery installed hold down the MENU button while switching on the camera.
    2. When the LCD lights release the MENU button and immediately press it again, once.
    3. In the menu go to SPANNER (line 5) and press RIGHT.
    4. Press DOWN until you are at the LCD brightness screen (line 3).
    5. Enter the brightness screen (shows twin adjusters) by pressing RIGHT and then press INFO and OK sequentially.
    6. You will see on the LCD 'OLYMPUS' followed by the designation of your camera (eg E-P1).
    7. Press in sequence UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, SHUTTER and UP for screen 1.
    8. You are now in the hidden information screens: RIGHT = screen 2, DOWN = screen 3, LEFT = screen 4.
    9. When you have your information simply switch off the camera.

Shutter count is on "Page 2" under "R".

The other lines on the screen mean:

R: shutter release count
    S: flash use count
    C: CMOS cleaning mode (with mirror lock-up - in E-410 series)
    U: number of ultrasonic dedusting, ~ number of power switch on
    V: number of use of LiveView
    B: number of shot using In-Body

Unfortunately Olympus doesn't embed shutter actuations in the EXIF data as Nikon does.

HTH

Regards,

Jim
    "Every photograph you've ever admired was taken with past equipment, not the thing you're waiting for someone to announce." - Thom Hogan

Jim...Jim...JIM!!! You're awesome. Thank you!

I may have missed it, though...but how do I get it to stop naming the bloody files according to the date?

I'll definitely reset the camera and wipe all the cards, though. :)

Also, I'm all right with it not being included in the EXIF...it would be nice, but the Oly approach is still better than the Canon approach...for years the only way to tell what the shutter count was to send it into Canon...now there is a program that is fairly accurate that tells you, but it used to be free and now it's a pay-per-use dealio...so I'm happy if I can do some fancy trickery and get the info in camera! :)

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by LowriderS10 View Post
    ...I may have missed it, though...but how do I get it to stop naming the bloody files according to the date?
    Are your file names like "P7090001.JPG" or some such?

I just reformatted a card, took a photo and it gave the name above (with .orf on the RAW file).

"The Olympus file format is Pmddnnnn.jpg where:
    m is month 1-9 then A-C A=10 B=11 C==12
    dd is day 0-31
    nnnn is number 0000-9999
    The P is fixed for all Olympus Cameras."

(source Olympus file name )

So I don't think you can set a custom numbering system . The best bet seems to be setting the file system on Auto and letting it continue the numbering system across cards. Once the system gets to 9999 I believe (but not have confirmed) that it rolls over.

Although - if there is a way to do it, someone will chime in and show us the error of my ways .

The answers I sent in the original mail didn't originate with me, they were tips that I culled from the forums and saved ; the reference from the user manual I just cut 'n pasted from the .PDF version.

(I rename the files when I import them to the computer, I've not checked the shutter count in quite awhile...).

HTH

Jim
    "Every photograph you've ever admired was taken with past equipment, not the thing you're waiting for someone to announce." - Thom Hogan

Real Name
    Nic

The last four digits of the file name are sequential on an Olympus. The difference between it and a Canon is that the Canon will use the prefix "IMG_" (or "_MG_") followed by sequential digits up to 9999 before resetting to 0000, whereas an Olympus uses a "Pmdd" prefix but is also followed by four sequential digits.
    Nic
    E-M5, E-P5, GH1
    Flickr Photostream
    >> Insert quote here <<

Real Name
    Gordon

I have my EM5s both set to custom names. I didn't want the same file numbers with two cameras as it can confuse Lightroom. My camera just have a 3 letter prefix (different for each camera) and then 5 sequential numbers that don't reset.

I don't have an EM5 on me at the moment. But I can look it up later.

Gordon
    Central Coast Wedding Photographer

An Introduction To Colour Management for Photographers

Flash is completely mirrorless.

The opinions and information above is not personal opinion. It is fact. Simply because I know I'm always right....

Here's what my file names look like:

TV071234

TV is the custom name I gave my files; my initials.
    07 is the CALENDAR DAY I took it.
    1234 is the sequential number that it assigns each picture.

The problem is this way I can end up with multiple file numbers being the same...ie: the first picture I take on July 7th and the first picture I take on Aug. 7th will *BOTH* be named TV070001.

Real Name
    Nic

I left the file naming protocol exactly as it is was per the factory defaults so that everything remains in order and with unique filenames. Removing the variable of the month from the filenames will screw up the alphanumeric order of the files when you have more than one month's worth of images in the same folder. When I want to add a customised prefix to the filenames of my cameras I use a file renamer to do it all in one batch (as an example, I add the prefix "OEM5-" for my E-M5, "SNX200-" for my NX200, etc.
    Nic
    E-M5, E-P5, GH1
    Flickr Photostream
    >> Insert quote here <<

Exactly...plus, removing those two digits for the date would be a pain in the ass. HOWEVER...is there any way to get the camera to stop doing it in the first place? I just want it to number the shots sequentially...that's it. If I take TV0001 then 4 months later take another picture, I want it to be TV0002, that simple! :D

I usually have my pictures sorted by month, HOWEVER, when I go on trips (and I go on a lot of them), I have them sorted BY TRIP. Some of them straddle months (ie: I'm going to Europe from the end of July to the middle of August), and then it'll be all out of sequence.

This really shouldn't be *THIS* difficult/impossible. :'(

Real Name
    Gordon

OK. In the edit filename section (section H) choose sRGB. You can assign four places. I have 3 assigned (my initials on one camera and bussiness name initials on the other. I have the last digit set to "OFF". In the aRGB section you can only set 3 digits as the first is reserved for an underscore (same for Canon). Above that set file name to "auto".

I think that's all I did and I do not get any date info in the file name.

BUT

The custom name is not displayed during playback in camera. Files get the custom name but the info screen shows the folder and file number only on the camera LCD. SO you'll need to look at the card on your computer to see if it's working.

Gordon
    Central Coast Wedding Photographer

An Introduction To Colour Management for Photographers

Flash is completely mirrorless.

The opinions and information above is not personal opinion. It is fact. Simply because I know I'm always right....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast