Ads by Google

Amazon

B&H Photo

Adorama

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Olympus Service And Repair Sucks

Olympus Service & Repair....

Back on June 13th... Olympus S&R received my OM-D. The issue was the EVF went on the fritz and stopped working... After a bit of research and positive feedback about their service, I felt confident that they would resolve the issue with my camera in a timely manner. I called them prior to shipping to get an idea on the turn around time for a repair. They stated 2 - 3 days to check in for repair and then a week or so for repair. So I sent in my camera and I have not seen it since....

I have called numerous times to get different time tables on how long it takes to process the repair into the system. I was told 2 - 3 days, then changed to 3-4 days then changed to 5 business days.. and the most recent is 5 - 7 days. This is just to get the repair into the system to generate a work order! WTF!!!!

I have remained calm on the phone and have just listened to the repeated information over and over again. Today when I called, I got a different operator to help... She asked me to repeat the same information I have provided numerous times. I told her I sent the package to the El Paso S&R center and that it has been over 9 Business days since they have received my package. Then I asked her, how long do I have to wait till they did something about my missing camera? When is it going to get into the system and actually repaired? Why can't they talk to anyone in the Service and Repair center? Not once have they tried to connect me or have tried to get connected while I was on hold.

This is real crappy service if you ask me. I am so regretting getting the OM-D now... I didn't know it was such a sensitive camera...

I am giving them a few more days till I try other measures to get some answers....

I don't think I am the only one in the same boat... Anyone else have their camera in for repair at Olympus? Has it taken forever to get it into the system?
    Eddie E-M5, E-P5 - BCL 9mm, BCL15, BCLm15 |Oly 12mm, 17mm, 25mm, 60 Macro, and 75mm
    About.Me |My iPad Photo Workflow| Street Photography

Real Name
    Brian Y.

I actually had exposure issues with the camera, severe unexposure, and a guy from olympus called, said he is working on an exchange...that was a month ago.. i gave up. as the issue rarely rarely happens.

Quote Originally Posted by F/Stop View Post
    I actually had exposure issues with the camera, severe unexposure, and a guy from olympus called, said he is working on an exchange...that was a month ago.. i gave up. as the issue rarely rarely happens.
    So you never sent it in I take it? Lucky you...
    Eddie E-M5, E-P5 - BCL 9mm, BCL15, BCLm15 |Oly 12mm, 17mm, 25mm, 60 Macro, and 75mm

Real Name
    Sam

I had my camera sent in june 2012, back when they had their own NJ repair center and before they started outsourcing their call centers to India. I got GREAT service...fast and on time, without any crap from the CS reps. I was affraid this would happen when they outsourced their customer service. I hope you get things straightened out.
    -Sam T.

My Flickr

Real Name
    Don

WORD TO THE WISE.... if having a reliable camera available to you at all times is important... don't make do with having just 1 body.

"Two is one, and one is none" as is often said regarding firearms and preparedness.

Have two camera bodies, if possible, and then if you should be so unfortunate as to have to return a camera for repairs, you will not be stressed nor anxious during the repair process. Count on one going down at any time... and have another body to see you through in that case. Then send the problem body off and forget about it until it returns. And if having a fully functional camera body is VERY important to you... having three bodies is not all-that-bad of an idea! Modern high-tech products are always susceptible to problems... especially those with computerized functions.
    Last edited by DHart; June 25th, 2013 at 09:15 PM.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    WORD TO THE WISE.... if having a reliable camera available to you at all times is important... don't make do with having just 1 body.

"Two is one, and one is none" as is often said regarding firearms and preparedness.

Have two camera bodies, if possible, and then if you should be so unfortunate as to have to return a camera for repairs, you will not be stressed nor anxious during the repair process. Count on one going down at any time... and have another body to see you through in that case. Then send the problem body off and forget about it until it returns. And if having a fully functional camera body is VERY important to you... having three bodies is not all-that-bad of an idea! Modern high-tech products are always susceptible to problems... especially those with computerized functions.
    I have backup bodies (3 of them)... so my photo needs are taken care of... my point of this post is they still have not put the camera into the ticketing system. The only method of tracking I have is the UPS tracking # that shows that it was delivered.. Thats it!!! No one on the phone can confirm other than via the tracking # where exactly the camera is at the service center... But if they have outsourced this to a repair center, then that could be where the disconnect is...

Real Name
    Don

Eddie! Life is a struggle isn't it! I'm glad you're well covered for your photography needs. That's the main thing as far as your photographic objectives are concerned.

As for Olympus service sucking... it sounds like you have every right to grumble and be unhappy. Hopefully, they'll get it all sorted out for you before too long. In the meantime, thankfully, the service (or lack of it!) on the one body doesn't impact your photography, given the THREE additional bodies you have to work with.

You are fortunate to have THREE back-up bodies! You have most certainly well-seen to it that you would not be put in a bad way should one body go down.

My true sympathies are with those who have only one body and it must be returned for service/repair. It's those folks, in particular, who I was addressing with my comment about having more than one body.
    Last edited by DHart; June 26th, 2013 at 02:26 AM.
    Don

Actually Olympus service is very good.

Every brand has its horror stories...I can tell you plenty about Canon, Nikon, and Sony...but none about Olympus!

Real Name
    rob collins

My OMD has been into Olympus Service & Repair 3 times. Yes not good but these things happen.

First time. Arrived on a Tuesday. Told to come to collect it Friday repaired. On Friday camera collected repaired.

Second time. The day the camera arrived they returned it saying that the parts would take approximately 4 weeks to arrive from Japan and that they would call me back when they arrived. 4 weeks later to the exact day the call me to tell me that the parts had arrived. They received the camera and returned it repaired the next day.

Third time. They received it in the morning and told me to collect it repaired between 3pm and 5pm in the afternoon. I collected it repaired before 5pm.

So all in all excellent service that far exceeded my expectations.

I have to say if you are unhappy with Olympus's service and repair then I certainly dont expect it to improve in the future. Olympus is losing US$150m in cameras and really needs to reduce their SG&A overhead by around 70% to reach profitability. I would expect quick turnaround service and repair centers to be one of the first 'costs' on the block (especially in a place like Bangkok.)

Incidentally Panasonic do not have a service and repair center for cameras in Thailand at all (to the best of my knowledge).
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robcoll/

OMD, 7-14, 12-35, PL25, O45, O75
    Bessa R2A, VC 35 1.4

Real Name
    Geoff

I have sent my cameras (e-m5) twice to the UK service centre and had it returned within 10 days both times. I actually bought it from a Olympus main dealer and they handled the return etc. ... so maybe that is the difference.

I am sorry to hear your poor experience but I have to say mine is very positive ...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast