Thread: EPL6 vs EPL5

Default EPL6 vs EPL5

I know the EPL6 has only been announced for Japan, but assuming its soon available elsewhere, I'm stumped about its major benefit over the EPL5. Can someone summarize, maybe in a 2 sentences, what the EPL6 advantage is?

None for taking pictures. It's really a E-PL5 with wi-fi.

3. Default

Here's the Olympus Japan FAQ page explaining the differences between E-PL5 & E-PL6.
    Google Translate

In Japan you can get a free VF-3, a matching colored body-cap lens, or a Flash Air card if you buy E-PL6

Real Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by b_rubenstein View Post
    None for taking pictures. It's really a E-PL5 with wi-fi.
    This differs from what I've read. The differences that stood out to me are: faster max shutter speed (1/8000 second), lower min ISO (100) and it works with the eye sensor of the new VF-4. I don't believe it has WiFi.

Sent from my SGH-T779 using Mu-43 mobile app
    "The enemy of art is the absence of limitations." ~ Orson Welles
    Sarcasm is my default tone, so please consider that before taking offense to the preceding message. Criticism (no matter how harsh) is welcomed of ANY and ALL images I post.

oooh... So a good bright light camera! :D For sunny days and studio shooting.
    Olympus E-P3 PEN | Olympus E-PM2 PEN Mini | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

6. Default

Max shutter speed is 1/4000.

Real Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Taki View Post
    Max shutter speed is 1/4000.
    I stand corrected.

Here is the official product page if you want more details on the E-PL6.

One interesting feature is the "Short Release Time Lag Mode" which reduces shutter lag. What's interesting is that one can turn this feature on or off. This suggests that there is some downside to using it, since I can't imagine anyone wanting to dial in more shutter lag. I wonder what the trade-off is. Any ideas?
    "The enemy of art is the absence of limitations." ~ Orson Welles
    Sarcasm is my default tone, so please consider that before taking offense to the preceding message. Criticism (no matter how harsh) is welcomed of ANY and ALL images I post.

Real Name
    Dara

Quote Originally Posted by DeeJayK View Post
    I stand corrected.

Here is the official product page if you want more details on the E-PL6.

One interesting feature is the "Short Release Time Lag Mode" which reduces shutter lag. What's interesting is that one can turn this feature on or off. This suggests that there is some downside to using it, since I can't imagine anyone wanting to dial in more shutter lag. I wonder what the trade-off is. Any ideas?
    IIRC it substantially reduces battery life.
    E-M5 | E-PM2 | mZD 12-40/2.8 | mZD 12-50/3.5-6.3 | P 14-42/3.5-5.6 II | P 45-150/4.0-5.6 | P 14/2.5 | P 20/1.7 | PL 25/1.4 | mZD 45/1.8

I think it just adds some gimmick for tech gearheads but its core features are the same of E-pl5.