Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1. Default Light leak: Rainbow Imaging Nikon F->m4/3 adapter

Ok, time to lament. It turns out that I may have to pop the extra cash for the Voigtlander adapter after all. My Rainbow Imaging Nikon F adapter has a light leak right where the lens release metal tab is located.

I am reasonably sure this is not a sample variation, instead -- it looks like a design flaw. I have the G-lens adapter which works fine for AI/AIS as well. I don't know if the non-G adapter suffers similarly or not.

I have attached a pic to demonstrate how psychedelic lighting effects can result from the light leak (this was worst case scenario with light directly hitting the tab with camera in portrait orientation). If I cover the tab with my finger it goes away.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. The following member thanks naturecloseups for this post:

They charge enough for these bloody cheap adapters and when we take receipt of them in the mail it is found that they are indeed poorly made and not worth the money.

Bokeh Diem
    Seize the Light!

4. Default

I should mention that when not acting up this adapter works like it is supposed to - as in attached pic with this post.

Been swamped with work at my day job so got to take the camera for a spin outdoors with an adapted lens for the first time today. The first thing I realized was at least for tripod-mounted closeup work I may not need the VF-2 as badly as I thought -- so that purchase can wait a bit longer. I can attain critical focus just fine (see attached 100% crop -- this is exactly where I focused). The lens was a Tamron 90mm/f2.8 AF Macro.

Just when I was excited about the (temporary) savings for not having to buy the VF-2, it turns out I need to spend that savings towards a Voigtlander or Novoflex adapter (assuming they won't have any light leaks too).
    Attached Images Attached Images   

try a piece of double thick dark gaffers tape, or black electrical tape on the inside perimeter of the lens\adapter... if cut to the correct size it will wedge in nicely and should stop the light leak entirely...i have also used black cardboard baffles where reflections in homemade adapters had a negative effect on contrast with gafers tape and given contrast a real boost where errant light may bounce around like the light from oversized image circles.

6. Default

I have this adapter and have had no problem with it. I also have several other rainbow imaging adapters for leica, pentax, olympus om and find them to be excellent.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by naturecloseups View Post
    Ok, time to lament. It turns out that I may have to pop the extra cash for the Voigtlander adapter after all. My Rainbow Imaging Nikon F adapter has a light leak right where the lens release metal tab is located.
    I had the same problem and posted about it here: F-mount Adapter Design Defect - Light Leakage: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I used a bit of black opaque caulk to cover the hole on the inside of the adapter and it fixed the problem. It's a cheap and easy fix - a lot cheaper than buying a new $200 adapter.

8. Default

Thanks for the link. Yes I have used a tiny piece of black rubber bicycle tubing and "collared" it around the release tab. That seems to solve the problem.

However, I have still ordered a Voigtlander Nikon F --> m4/3 adapter off of eBay. Since all my lenses are F mount except one, that looked like a good investment. My lone non-F mount lens is a Canon 200/4 nFD macro and that is fitted with a Rainbow Imaging adapter. Because of that specific design there is no light leak on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by mjohnston View Post
    I had the same problem and posted about it here: F-mount Adapter Design Defect - Light Leakage: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I used a bit of black opaque caulk to cover the hole on the inside of the adapter and it fixed the problem. It's a cheap and easy fix - a lot cheaper than buying a new $200 adapter.

Get the Metabones adapter, it's just as good as the Voigtlander and much less expensive.

10. The following member thanks oldnikkor for this post:

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by naturecloseups View Post
    Thanks for the link. Yes I have used a tiny piece of black rubber bicycle tubing and "collared" it around the release tab. That seems to solve the problem.
    Bike tube sounds like a good idea; I would have thought it would be difficult to stretch it enough to fit around the mount.

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by oldnikkor View Post
    Get the Metabones adapter, it's just as good as the Voigtlander and much less expensive.
    I got the Metabones adapter for Nikon F lenses a few weeks ago because it looks like the Voigtlander and appears to be better quality than the Fotodiox and other inexpensive adapters. It's well made and I've had no trouble with it so far.

Here are two Metabones dealers but if you do a Google search you may find other sources.

A Hong Kong based dealer sells them on eBay to mu-43.com members for US$65 plus US$7 shipping but they're out of stock right now. Here's the link for a future purchase:

items - Get great deals on Eames, Furniture Accessories, Micro 4 3 cameras Accessories items on eBay Stores!

And here's a link to another dealer who sells them for US$99:

Buy Metabones Nikon F to Micro Four Thirds Adapter, Black at Plemix.com

13. The following member thanks Carol Stee for this post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast