Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1. Default High auto iso problem on EM-5

Hi,
    For the last year I've been using the Lumix GF1 with 20mm f1.7

I recently purchased the OM-D EM-5 with the 12-50mm and the 17mm f1.8 (the 17mm arrived today).

I haven't had a chance to proberly use it yet but what I'm seeing after firing off a few test shots around the house has me worried. With the iso set to auto mode (ISO-A) I'm finding that the EM-5 is setting the iso to on average 1600 (sometimes much higher) where as if I put the same lens (17mm) on the GF1 and take the same shots, with the same lighting the average iso is 400 never higher; and that's with the GF1 set to auto or iISO.

I've tried this with all 3 lenses on both cameras and the high auto iso issue is only happening on the EM-5. I've tested it while on firmware 1.2, 1.4 and 1.5 for the EM-5. Does this sound like there is a problem with the camera?

I'm so used to getting low iso in these light conditions with the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 I was shocked to see the f1.8 not going below 1600.

Thank you for your input.

Did you try the 20mm?

Just go into menu E and change the default limits for Auto ISO.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by juangrande View Post
    Did you try the 20mm?

yes, I tried the 20, the 12-50 and the 17mm all with similar results. The iso was much higher on the EM-5 than with those same lens on the GF1 (both cameras in auto-iso. One thing I forgot to mention. the EM-5 was set to min/max 200-1600 so actually the iso probably would have been even higher.
    Last edited by JackOletta; January 9th, 2013 at 08:51 PM.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    Just go into menu E and change the default limits for Auto ISO.
    Thank you, yeah I thought about that but that doesn't really solve the problem. I'm wondering if this is normal. but sure, I could just set the camera to manual iso of my choice or set the max limit lower as you suggest however I then end up with a much slower shutter speed compared to what I see on the GF1 as the same iso.

6. Default

I think I may have to take my camera in to a local shop and compare it out with one of their displays.

Real Name
    Patrick

It would be helpful if you could share with use the aperture, shutter speed, and ISO data for the same shots captured by the same lenses on your 2 camera bodies for better comparison. When I use my E-M5 indoor with auto-ISO, it will try to push up ISO to maintain a shutter speed of 1/(Focal Length x 2), so it would be helpful to let us see the EXIF data of your shots to have a meaningful evaluation...

Real Name
    M@

Quote Originally Posted by hkpzee View Post
    It would be helpful if you could share with use the aperture, shutter speed, and ISO data for the same shots captured by the same lenses on your 2 camera bodies for better comparison. When I use my E-M5 indoor with auto-ISO, it will try to push up ISO to maintain a shutter speed of 1/(Focal Length x 2), so it would be helpful to let us see the EXIF data of your shots to have a meaningful evaluation...

What he said. The EM-5 may be favoring the higher ISO (1600 is two full stops more sensitive than 400) so that it can use faster shutter speeds.

You could try using manual mode and see what shutter speeds you get at the desired ISO and aperture, or use aperture priority and set the aperture you want, then see what shutter speed it selects.

It may take a moment or two, but you can easily set the ISO manually, too. I have ISO mapped to my FN1 button, so I can easily change it while I have the camera to-eye.
    Fray: a usually disorderly or protracted fight, struggle, or dispute
    Adjacent: not distant, immediately preceding or following

Olympus OM-D EM-5, Panasonic Lumix 12-35 f/2.8, Oly 12-50mm, Oly 17 f/2.8, Canon FD 70-150 f/4.5, Minolta ROKKOR PF 58mm f/1.4

Few settings to check.
    1. White balance (warm off?)
    2. Metering - spot, matrix or centre weighted?
    3. Gradation - auto, normal, high key or low key?
    4. Picture mode - neutral, vivid, iEnhance, ... ?
    5. IBIS - on or off ?

I find that under certain settings, the auto ISO do select the higher ISO limit of your preset to maintain shutter speed within 1/50 or so.

The best way to assess is the post some pictures comparing EM5 and GX1 with EXIF data.
    E-M5 | 12-50 | 40-150 R | 45/1.8 | 17/1.8 | 14/2.5
    Metz 32CT7

It would be useful if you could shoot the same scene on Manual setting with identical shutter speed/ aperture and ISO Auto on both set ups initially, and then change the shooting Mode to give a scientific comparison. The results should then give you and idea of how the different cameras handle exposure parameters.

David
    Last edited by Rockinggoose; January 10th, 2013 at 01:33 AM.
    Pbase Galleries:-

http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

E-M5, Leica 14-150mm, ED 7-14mm, ED 75-300mm, EC14, EX25, Lensbaby Scout, FL50R, Metz MS1.
    Canon 7D, Canon EF 400mm f5.6 L, Canon 40mm f2.8 STM, Tokina 12-24mm f4, Pentax SMC 500mm f4.5,
    National Geographic Expedition Carbon, Lensmaster RH1 Gimbal head.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551–479 BC)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast