Real Name
    Margaret

Default Newbie Printing Question - LR4

I've been trying to print a simple 6x4" photo from Lightroom 4.2 (now 4.3RC), and I have a question. I'm using 4x6 photo paper printing in landscape mode, and LR is configured such that the photo displays (and prints) at 6x4.

If I print with borders, the image is scaled correctly when printed. But ... if I configure it to printer borderless photos, the photo is not scaled, it's simply cropped, so I lose part of the top and right sides of my photo in the print. I've made sure the LR settings for the photo remain at 6x4. I've observed this happening on both an HP Deskjet 5740 and a Canon SELPHY CP900.

I've checked and double-checked my settings in both the printer driver and LR, and all seems to be configured properly. Is there something I'm missing? Is this proper behavior? Any help much appreciated!
    C&C welcomed and encouraged!
    Flickr | ebay FB: twokatmew

How much is being cropped??

Note that when you print borderless there will always be some cropping. That is always, with all software, with all images, and with all printers, period. Usually the cropping is modest, typically around 1/8"/3-4mm in all sides. This is to allow for the somewhat less than precise paper positioning.

Real Name
    Margaret

Quote Originally Posted by dwig View Post
    How much is being cropped??

Note that when you print borderless there will always be some cropping. That is always, with all software, with all images, and with all printers, period. Usually the cropping is modest, typically around 1/8"/3-4mm in all sides. This is to allow for the somewhat less than precise paper positioning.
    About 1 inch on top and 1/2" on the right side of the photo. In LR the entire photo fits in the 6x4 cell, but the borderless print ends up cropped off the top and the right side. As long as I include a border, the final print is scaled properly. If I only lost 3-4mm evenly around the photo, I'd assume it was normal behavior. I'm just printing with borders, and that solves the problem. But I'd like to be able to print borderless without having my images hacked off the top and right side....

I'm not using the "zoom to fill" option either, as I read that this causes the image to be cropped.

You should actually check the printer properties. When you go to print go into the printer settings and see what the settings are. You might want to see it to fit to page, but if its already set to that maybe set it to borderless.. Ether way, I think its in the advance printer settings and not Lightrooms fault.
    Just my 2˘

Real Name
    Margaret

Quote Originally Posted by RDM View Post
    You should actually check the printer properties. When you go to print go into the printer settings and see what the settings are. You might want to see it to fit to page, but if its already set to that maybe set it to borderless.. Ether way, I think its in the advance printer settings and not Lightrooms fault.
    Just my 2¢
    Thx. I've figured it was the printers too. If I turn off borderless in the printer settings, I get borders. I've been using two crappy printers. Planning to get a new one after the new year. Hopefully I'll figure it out then! : smile:

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

In addition to possible printer settings problems, You may have an aspect problem 6 x 4 is a 3:2 aspect. If your photos were shot using 4:3 then you are going to lose either height or width or both depending on the starting point of your printer driver. In LR make sure rulers are on so you can see that the image fills the paper (I presume that is what you meant as the cell, if you are using the cell lines then you won't be borderless). Alternate clicking on "zoom to fill" will show the difference from full 4:3 and 4:3 cropped to 3:2. Or, just use the hand tool to move the image to show what is cut off. LR seems to crop the top and bottom by centering the image vertically and using the full width.

Of course, if your photos were shot at 3:2 then none of the above applies.
    Dan
    Panasonic G2 & G5 w/ whole lot of lenses

Real Name
    Margaret

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ka View Post
    In addition to possible printer settings problems, You may have an aspect problem 6 x 4 is a 3:2 aspect. If your photos were shot using 4:3 then you are going to lose either height or width or both depending on the starting point of your printer driver. In LR make sure rulers are on so you can see that the image fills the paper (I presume that is what you meant as the cell, if you are using the cell lines then you won't be borderless). Alternate clicking on "zoom to fill" will show the difference from full 4:3 and 4:3 cropped to 3:2. Or, just use the hand tool to move the image to show what is cut off. LR seems to crop the top and bottom by centering the image vertically and using the full width.

Of course, if your photos were shot at 3:2 then none of the above applies.
    Thx. I currently shoot at 4:3 but crop to 3:2.... :)

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!