Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Real Name
    Jim

Default Thom Hogan Body Cap Lens Review

"Every photograph you've ever admired was taken with past equipment, not the thing you're waiting for someone to announce." - Thom Hogan

2. The following 3 members thank Fmrvette for this post:

Real Name
    Steve

Oops. I didn't see and started another thread. Sorry.

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by drd1135 View Post
    Oops. I didn't see and started another thread. Sorry.
    No worries! Well...except that my lens is still "in the mail" from B&H .

Regards,

Jim
    "Every photograph you've ever admired was taken with past equipment, not the thing you're waiting for someone to announce." - Thom Hogan

I ordered mine from Olympus directly, back on September 17.

I just placed an order a couple of days ago with B&H.

It seems Olympus lost my order, then could never find the info about the order, even though I furnished emails to them to prove that an order had been placed. After 10 weeks of this nonsense I asked them to cancel the order as I could get it somewhere else. The politely explained that they would be happy to cancel the order as my credit card info had expired on an order that was never placed.

Never again will order anything directly from Olympus.

B&H claims the lens will be here by next Thursday. I am not holding my breath.....

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Waldroup View Post
    I ordered mine from Olympus directly, back on September 17...
    Never again will order anything directly from Olympus...

B&H claims the lens will be here by next Thursday...
    Yep, me too. I cancelled my Olympus order, although the adviser noted that the lenses were "no longer shown on back order" status. B&H was offering free shipping (apparently coming from New York to Michigan via mule train). Their tracking software shows it at the mail facility in Troy, Michigan, delivery expected Tuesday. Must be a slow mail truck, Troy is only 10 miles from my house.

I've had good service from Olympus direct ordering before; they shipped a camera bag to me and it got here in a few days.

Of course it's no longer a problem as my GAS has been satisfied and I won't be buying anymore camera gear from anyone...

Regards,

Jim

Real Name
    Bob

Olympus has finally shipped mine. I wasn't in a big hurry, this is a novelty lens for me. I bought from Olympus because I had a ten dollar birthday credit. If this had been something more important to me - I would be really unhappy. As it is, I look forward to finally playing with it.
    Love mercy, do justice, walk humbly - Micah 6:8
    "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words." Ansel Adams

Real Name
    Dara

Interesting.

I have to say though that I always keep a lens on my camera. I don't even know where my body cap is. Sounds like most people don't though, so the Body Cap Lens is a fairly inexpensive way to always be ready to shoot.
    E-M5 | E-PM2 | mZD 12-40/2.8 | mZD 12-50/3.5-6.3 | P 14-42/3.5-5.6 II | P 45-150/4.0-5.6 | P 14/2.5 | P 20/1.7 | PL 25/1.4 | mZD 45/1.8

I like this idea, I tried one yesterday on an OM-D and an EPL-5. It doesn't feel any heavier than a body cap. The 30mm is perfect for going on cycling trips and f/8 is fine for the daytime... when I shot film and was travelling my lenses basically lived at that aperture.

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by dhazeghi View Post
    Interesting.

I have to say though that I always keep a lens on my camera. I don't even know where my body cap is. Sounds like most people don't though, so the Body Cap Lens is a fairly inexpensive way to always be ready to shoot.
    Hi Dhazeghi!

I connect the body cap and the rear lens cover of the lens on the camera together and put in whatever bag/pocket I'm carrying. (They interlock nicely). If I swap lenses I use the rear lens cover of the new lens to cover the rear of the old. If I remove all lenses from the camera then I separate the lens cap and the body cover that I have in the bag/pocket, put the lens cap on the lens and the body cover on the camera. QED.

Like you, though, it's rare that I don't have a lens on the camera at all - it's just that using my own peculiar method keeps track of both the rear lens cap and the body cover.

How I'm going to adapt that on Tuesday I haven't figured out yet . I think the body cap will be regulated to the gear cabinet here at the Swamp and the "lens cover lens" will go into the bag in it's stead. I don't know if the rear lens cap from a "regular" lens will attach to it, but I assume they will.

Regards,

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by dhazeghi View Post

Interesting.

I have a box in my closet that I call my camera crap box, it has body caps, lens caps that I lost and then found the day I buy a new one, and other typical junk, for all I know Jimmy Hoffa is in there's ;)
    My Flickr...

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
    Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
    To the last syllable of recorded time;
    And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
    The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
    Signifying nothing. Macbeth

12. The following member thanks Zariell for this post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast