Ads by Google

Amazon

B&H Photo

Adorama

Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast

Default Full Frame Image Thread

Here's a thread to post FF images. Having picked up (again) a 5D, I have to admit that I am addicted to FF, but I am also addicted to small, light cameras, and currently it's impossible to have both (and no, APS-C cameras don't get you there, IMO).

So, here's a thread for posting from FF cameras. Canon 5D series, the certain 1Ds that qualify, Nikon D600, 700, 800, even Leica, if you must ;)

I'm a boring home and hearth shooter, so here's my first post. It's lovely to me, though perhaps boring to others, lol. It's my collie outside for the first snow of the season. 5Dc + 85/1.8 shot at f/2.5 (that would be 42.5mm at f/1.25 in m43 terms).

I'm also trying to teach myself proper on-camera flash. This one is again with the 85 but at 3.5 shot in camera M mode but using TTL, with a flash bounced I think it was 45 degrees to the left. Not a fantastic picture in terms of composition, but I'm very pleased with the technical qualities of the exposure.

Last edited by WT21; November 27th, 2012 at 04:11 PM.

2. The following 8 members thank WT21 for this post:

Real Name
    Joe

Great idea.
    Look forward to both many wonderful images and of course reading about your experiences with the gear.
    Joe

...my stuff is on
    flickr

Well I guess you are going to have to plump for the Sony RX1 that will finally offer a full frame compact camera (albeit with a superb Zeis lens).
    I still use my full frame (Nikon D700) for my fast / low light work as it is a superb performer.
    I suspect the RX1 once it has bedded in and prices fall with start to sell to a wider audience and prove itself to be a very attractive "street" camera due to Zeiss quality, fast aperture and full frame sensor in a body not much larger than the Pany GX1.
    I for one am interested but not until prices fall a lot!

5. The following member thanks Iansky for this post:

Hi Ian,

The RX1 is not for me. I just don't get along with that FOV, and the price is too high. My 5D cost me $500 ($300 for the 85mm and $150 for the 70-210USM). I was sure we would have heard more about a FF mirrorless this year, but I guess I was wrong, though the RX1 is a nice indicator that it's possible. But a FF mirrorless will still be large -- maybe there will always be a large-body FF and compact m43 cameras. It's a nice one-two combination.
    Last edited by WT21; November 27th, 2012 at 08:28 AM.

Great idea... I've been reserving my FF photos for a threads at the sister site seriouscompacts.com.

This month has been a storm full of changes in my life and my mind is pre-occupied with the two precious new additions to our family. Twin boys.

Happy Grandparents....
    Last edited by usayit; November 27th, 2012 at 08:30 AM.
    Reminder to Myself: Aggressively Apply Smilies

8. The following 14 members thank usayit for this post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Twins! Boys! Awesome! Congrats, and health and happiness to them both and to you and momma. Love those shots, btw.

As for thoughts about the RX1...

Let's not forget that there were many compact, "full-frame", film cameras back in the day with fast high quality optics. Its a matter of design. Remove complexity and you open up opportunities for smaller packaging. One way to remove complexity is to integrate a fixed lens to remove the complexity of an interchangeable mount (as with the RX1). They can possibly remove the shutter too and subtract its electronic/mechanicals. You can also remove the complexity by removing autofocus (a la leica) but I don't think there is much market for that kind of camera.

I could see myself shooting with a fixed lens camera(s) such as the RX1. Heck, I hope they release a versions with different focal lengths (as with the past). I'd be happy with the RX1... but its a bit too much for me right now... got diapers and formula to buy.
    Reminder to Myself: Aggressively Apply Smilies

If there was an RX2 (or RX1a) with a 50mm lens at 1.4 let's say (or even 1.8 or 2.0) that had a leaf silent shutter, and especially if it had a flip screen? I am afraid that I would be thousands poorer almost instantly.

12. The following member thanks WT21 for this post:

Real Name
    John

Interesting concept, a Full Frame picture thread on a forum. I wonder if they have threads on Nikon and Canon forums?

Just teasing! Great idea and I look forward to many more cracking pictures!
    View my ebook, The Light Fantastic at: http://store.blurb.co.uk/ebooks/3026...ight-fantastic

John

here are a few of my adventures with a 5d Mk2 - showing things that so far have eluded me with 4/3

85/1.8

Watching by kevinparis, on Flickr

85/2

wartime romance by kevinparis, on Flickr

85/1.8

Marathon Man by kevinparis, on Flickr

50/1.4

Flying Cigarette by kevinparis, on Flickr

85/1.8

Happy New Year from Paris by kevinparis, on Flickr

35/2

head against a wall by kevinparis, on Flickr.

OM Zuiko 24/2

Bak's...Je t'aime by kevinparis, on Flickr

further shots here

canon 5d - a set on Flickr

have hardly shot the Canon for a year... in two minds whether to sell up....it is very good.... but boy is it heavy after using a OMD

15. The following 13 members thank kevinparis for this post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast