Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Olympus mZD 9-18mm f4-5.6 Experience Diary

Hello everyone,

through my Olympus contacts here in the UK, I have managed to secure one of the first production mZD 9-18mm f4-5.6 lenses, to be able to answer your questions here and to arrange for some hands-on impressions by Olympus Photo Safari Group members here in the UK.

I am not a paid reviewer, so please don't expect a lab review - I don't photograph resolution charts... this will be a hands on experience diary, with lots of example images.

OK, first off some sample images from today - all converted from raw using the free Olympus Viewer software, and shadows enhanced + scaled for web using Lightzone.

E-P2 + mZD 9-18mm f4-5.6
    1/320s f/8.0 at 9.0mm iso200

E-P2 + mZD 9-18mm f4-5.6
    1/800s f/8.0 at 9.0mm iso200

This is a tiny high quality lens, collapses as the mZD 14-42, but feels more precise and as with the mZD 14-150mm lens is fast and silent to focus.

I would say that the 20mm f1.7, mZD 9-18 f4-5.6 and mZD 14-150mm f4-5.6 makes the perfect kit right now for m4/3rds... I'll wait for the mZD 50mm f2 before deciding on a macro lens - in the meantime, the ZD 50mm f2 does the job with a 4/3rds adapter.

Please post any questions you have, or examples you would like me to provide...

Cheers

Brian
    Founder, Olympus Photo Safari Group
    http://www.ukphotosafari.org

2. The following 9 members thank Brian Mosley for this post:

Thanks Brian, look forward to your in-depth real world tests!

Must admit I assumed because these lenses have been available in the US for a while that the UK shops were just out of stock, but that explains why I have been finding it so hard to find one even just to try out on the camera , so please do let me know if/when you are doing your UKPSG hands-on days as I would really like to come along and try this lens out as I'm considering buying one.

Caroline

4. The following 2 members thank Caroline for this post:

Brian, I'm wondering how do you find the lens in a lower light situation? Have you taken many photographs inside or in the evening? I know we have several other people on the forum who already have this lens and I've been following their photographs with great interest and a quite a bit of lens lust.
    **An evolving camera owner.

~ BB
    Flickr photostream

Real Name
    Lisa

I agree with Brian my favorite native lenses are the 20 1.7 Pany, 9-18 Oly and my Micro-Nikkor 55 2.8 on the adapted side.

These are with the 9-18

Last edited by LisaO; June 15th, 2010 at 09:57 PM.

7. The following 6 members thank LisaO for this post:

I really like the 9-18 a lot too, and the 20. And the 45-200. (and the 17, but it tends to get crowded out).

But I haven't really figured out when to use the 9-18. Usually, when I THINK its going to be the right lens for a particular setting or shot that I have in mind, its not once I start framing. OTOH, there are times I just have it on the camera when I pull the camera out for a shot that I DON'T think it would be right for, but I check before switching lenses and its about perfect. Took it on a walk last week and figured I'd mostly be using the 18 and I found all kinds of shots with the wide end.

Fine lens. Confused photographer! Not a bad problem to have - I'm sure it'll get more automatic with time.

-Ray

9. The following member thanks Ray Sachs for this post:

BBW

Real Name
    Lisa

Yes, it's a lens that needs the proper situation. Some people have no idea how to shoot with ultra wides. I love your B&W baseball stadium shot Ray, that was a great use of the lens.

I've been shooting with the 20mm f1.7 for so long, I'm having to remember how to compose for an UWA's strengths.

This lens is fantastically compact, lightweight and I think better IQ in terms of sharpness, contrast and lack of CA than the ZD 9-18... quite an achievement!

Some examples from today, first my PAD image for today...

E-P2 + mZD 9-18mm f4-5.6
    1/25s f/4.0 at 9.0mm iso200

I was really bored... playing with the idea of unusual perspective, I popped the E-P2 into time delay shutter release, placed it on the ground under my car and tried an instant panoramic shot :

E-P2 + mZD 9-18mm f4-5.6
    1/250s f/8.0 at 9.0mm iso200

Ever get that feeling?

E-P2 + mZD 9-18mm f4-5.6
    1/160s f/8.0 at 9.0mm iso200

Cheers

Brian

12. The following 4 members thank Brian Mosley for this post:

Is anyone using this lens on a GF1? How's its focusing? Walking around I've found a few times I really wish I could go wider than the 20. But the 7-14 is just a bit too much for me to swallow. This is a smidge better on that front, heh.

I've found its focussing to be excellent on my GF1. V quick & quiet.

15. The following 2 members thank chasm for this post:

I had a frustrating day today... unable to get out and shoot on a glorious day in London, but I did take the opportunity to shoot into the sun with the mZD 9-18 as a bit of a stress test on the way home.

E-P2 + mZD 9-18mm f4-5.6
    1/320s f/8.0 at 9.0mm iso200

Cheers

Brian

17. The following 2 members thank Brian Mosley for this post:

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast