Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Notebook/Laptop for postprocessing

Hello,

I'm a relatively new shooter (March of this year) but I've been interested in photography my whole life. Now that I have a high quality and portable setup I find myself taking pictures everywhere and keeping my camera on me at a times.

Unfortunately, being a commuting college student in engineering means I'm not home very often where my powerful desktop is and so often times I have to make due with my 12in Intel core i3 first-gen convertible tablet. I'm looking to upgrade this for a higher resolution and more powerful system and although I know what to look for in specs I'm not to sure how the quality of the screens fare.

Here's my wish list:
    Current gen ivy bridge processor
    4+GB ram (upgradeable to at least 8gb)
    12-14 inch IPS or PLS screen with 1080p resolution.
    Build quality and weight are important.

I have found several candidates but they all have some sort of shortcoming whether it's price, screen, etc.

My question is what notebooks/laptops are you using and how it's working out for you with color accuracy? Currently I'm making do with my 1280x800 resolution screen and color accuracy is fairly decent on it but it could be higher resolution and less bulky (HP TM2-2150 us, 128gb, 8gb ram)

I'm not really a fan of apple but they might be my best choice for a quality portable with a proven screen.

PS I'm not interested in a retina macbook pro. Way more than I'm willing to spend. This laptop or tablet would also be used for school.

I mainly want feedback on your experiences with color reproduction since resolution, size, and "IPS" specs only tell one side of the story.

I can't really suggest anything specific (after all it may or not be available in your specific market, may have different specs, etc). But since you mention that precise color is important to you, perhaps you should consider investing in a color calibration system, whatever notebook you finally decide on.

Also another consideration, esp. for notebooks, is having adequate in space and fast enough storage devices. This also is relevant to the volume of shooting/processing you are going to do.

The usual: Good, Fast and Cheap/Affordable, pick any two.

A retina iPad is quite the little platform if you're not doing extensive PS work. My quad core i7 laptop handles the heavy lifting, but the iPad gets most of the use for simply being handy, Snapseed works quite well. There's another thread on using the iPad in editing, shouldn't be hard to find.

I'm in the US, I think most of the major manufacturers are available with maybe LG and Panasonic laptops being scarce.

I do have access to an xrite colormuki photo from a friend so the calibration portion is taken care of. What I'm concerned is the display being able to show the wide range of color values.

For my purposes I think 128-240gb ssd is plenty of space. I eventually would transfer the light room catalog and files to my spacious home desktop hard drives but my main use is to store, view, and edit raw files on the go since most of my time is spent outside home. I carry a small 500gb external hard drive with me for backup purposes.

I wish there was a company like toms hardware that tested the displays against each other and rated them like they do with hard drives, processors, etc.

Thanks for the response though.

Quote Originally Posted by kinlau
    The usual: Good, Fast and Cheap/Affordable, pick any two.

A retina iPad is quite the little platform if you're not doing extensive PS work. My quad core i7 laptop handles the heavy lifting, but the iPad gets most of the use for simply being handy, Snapseed works quite well. There's another thread on using the iPad in editing, shouldn't be hard to find.
    I think an iPad or a nexus 10 will be in my future for being out in the field but this laptop will be used for school and a iOS/android tablets are just too limiting.

The 2k price range is hard to swallow however 1200 seems reasonable as long as it is expandable. Like the soldered ram on the macbook air (8gb) is okay but anything less than that isn't.

I am looking for portability and battery life as well so I know I won't find a quad core processor in an ultra portable.

Ideally a computer with a good screen, i5 ivy bridge processor and user upgradeable ram and disk drive would be my pick. Its just hard to compare screens without seeing the models in person. That's why I ask for peoples experiences with brands/product ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by millimeterwave View Post
    I wish there was a company like toms hardware that tested the displays against each other and rated them like they do with hard drives, processors, etc.
    You are quite right; in fact we need some objective/reliable source for various photo-related computer product comparisons.

if you are printing then fidelity of your screen is important... if you are posting to the web... then you are at the mercy of everybody's screen no matter what you do.

every computer sold today will do pp on raw files... some faster than others.. but they will all get there.. and most laptops will be as fast as a 5 year old desktop....

I use a 2010 mac book air and a 2007 MacPro..... its a tie in real world PP performance for my PP... which admitedly is minimal

K

Real Name
    Mike

I will let you know about the Nexus 10 display...should have it by Monday.

Real Name
    Promit Roy

8GB+ and SSD are the key specs you need. A quality screen would be good, I think some of the Sony machines have IPS screens but I don't remember exactly. A dedicated monitor might be a better choice. Be careful of gamut either way; AdobeRGB is not all it's sold to be. You're better off with a good sRGB panel, probably.

Oh, and one more thing.

Not Dell. Not ever Dell.
    Olympus E-M5, Panasonic GH4, Sony A77 II, lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinparis
    if you are printing then fidelity of your screen is important... if you are posting to the web... then you are at the mercy of everybody's screen no matter what you do.

every computer sold today will do pp on raw files... some faster than others.. but they will all get there.. and most laptops will be as fast as a 5 year old desktop....

K
    Good point about the screen for web posts, I hadn't thought about that. I am interested in printing though so it is important but I will admit I'll probably work on important shots on my desktop at home anyway. I just want to be able to do the bulk of my processing accurately on the go since that's where my time is mostly spent.

You're Absolutely right about all modern computers being able to post process. My 2 year old 12 inch tablet got new life when I upgraded ram to 8gb and an ssd. However, the reason I had that machine was for inking notes and now that the wacom panel is broken and HP is having trouble fixing it I'm hoping to replace the bulky machine (its a thick laptop).

Moore's law is great, eh?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast