Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Real Name
    Amin

Default Focus Peaking with the Olympus OM-D E-M5

Some readers at 43 Rumors figured out a simple way to use one of the art filters for on-demand "focus peaking" with the Olympus OM-D E-M5. Unfortunately it doesn't work for video, but it works a treat for still photography.

Here are the steps:

1) Change the mode dial on the E-M5 to "A"

2) Menu > Shooting Menu 1: set the "Picture Mode" to "ART 11 Key Line" (press right and choose Filter II). You may need to repeat this step twice to get the art filter setting to stick.

3) Optional step if you want magnified view during focus peaking: Menu > Shooting Menu 1 > Set "Digital Tele-converter" to "On"

4) Menu > Shooting Menu 1: select "Reset/Myset", then select "Myset1" and choose "Set"

5) Menu > Custom Menu B: select "Button Function", then select "Fn1 Function" and choose "My1"

6) Menu > Shooting Menu 1: set the "Picture Mode" to "Natural" (or whatever you started out with)

7) Menu > Shooting Menu 1 > Set "Digital Tele-converter" back to "Off" if you set it to "On" in Step 3 above

At this point, you'll have the "Key Line" art filter, which acts like a form of focus peaking, assigned to the Fn1 button. You can hold down the button while focusing for a kind of "on demand" focus peaking and then release the button before you shoot so that the art filter doesn't affect the captured image itself.

Quick video showing the steps to configure:

******** width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3ArqBplO8cQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>*********>

Credit to 43 Rumors and their readers Nicolas, Lucio, and Wickster for finding and explaining this technique.
    Amin
    Mu-43.com Webmaster (Site FAQ | Help Forum | My Disclosures | My Flickriver | My G+ Profile)

You can help pay our server bills when you buy anything online: http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=55354

2. The following 40 members thank Amin Sabet for this post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Real Name
    Mark

Raw is disabled
    E-M5, Pany 14, Pany 14-45, Oly 17 1.8, Oly 45 1.8, Oly 60 Macro, Pany 100-300
    M mount lenses: Canon 50 f1.8 Serenar, Konica 50 f2 M+Hexanon.
    www.markrosenphotography.com

Real Name
    Herbert

Quote Originally Posted by merosen
    Raw is disabled
    I think you can still shoot RAW+JPEG even w/ art filters. Certainly with EPL3 u can. I assume this hasn't been changed in EM-5.
    Olympus PEN -=- Fujifilm X
    Flickr
    Get to know me

Quote Originally Posted by merosen View Post
    Raw is disabled
    If you assign it with Fn1 > My Set you can shoot it in RAW. All of you have to do is press Fn1 for focusing (with Art Filter 11 a.k.a key line) and released it when you already have focus then you press the shutter that's all.

Comparing it with NEX focus peaking the Olympus focus peaking is much more contrasty in some condition.

the only draw back (which i may have not figured out yet or because OM-D limitation) is I'm not able to use it with magnification.
    My Gear : EM-5, E-1, EPL-1, + Lumix 20, 14; Fujinon 55; OM 35, 135; mZD 45, 12-50, 14-42, 40-150R; ZD 35, 14-54 mkI, 40-150 mkI

6. The following member thanks st3v4nt for this post:

Real Name
    Amin

Raw is disabled
    Not if you use the steps I listed .
    Amin
    Mu-43.com Webmaster (Site FAQ | Help Forum | My Disclosures | My Flickriver | My G+ Profile)

You can help pay our server bills when you buy anything online: http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=55354

Real Name
    Mark

I get it
    when you press Fn1 it goes to key line (jpeg mode function)
    after using focus peaking, release Fn1 it goes back to RAW - 3 natural
    E-M5, Pany 14, Pany 14-45, Oly 17 1.8, Oly 45 1.8, Oly 60 Macro, Pany 100-300
    M mount lenses: Canon 50 f1.8 Serenar, Konica 50 f2 M+Hexanon.
    www.markrosenphotography.com

Real Name
    Amin

I get it
    when you press Fn1 it goes to key line (jpeg mode function)
    after using focus peaking, release Fn1 it goes back to RAW - 3 natural
    You got it.

As I have it set up, if I shoot while holding Fn1 to see peaking, I get RAW + JPEG, whereas after I release Fn1 it goes back to RAW only.

Quote Originally Posted by st3v4nt View Post
    the only draw back (which i may have not figured out yet or because OM-D limitation) is I'm not able to use it with magnification.
    One thing you can do is set Shooting Menu 1 > Digital Tele-converter to "On" before you save it to Myset1 and then change the Digital Tele-converter back to "Off" for normal shooting. That way whenever you push the Fn1 button, you get focus peaking at 2x magnification, then release the button to go back to normal view. I added this as an optional step in the OP.

I keep Myset1 set without magnification and Myset2 with magnification. Myset2 seems to work better for wide angle lenses. Again, credit goes to Lucio for the idea.
    Amin

10. The following member thanks Amin Sabet for this post:

Thanks Amin, that's a great tip! The new E-PM2 and E-PL5 also have the Key Line filter, and so we know all future models will as well (since the Pen Mini line will have the most limited art filters of the lineup). So this isn't just an OM-D trick, this could henceforth be considered a trick for all Olympus cameras.
    Olympus E-P3 PEN | Olympus E-PM2 PEN Mini | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

12. The following member thanks Ned for this post:

Real Name
    Amin

True, Ned. I find focus peaking pretty distracting for composition, so having it "on demand" assigned to a button is pretty much ideal. I can absolutely nail focus with this method, even shooting my Rokinon fisheye from 2 inches away from a subject.
    Amin

Yeah, currently I use my cameras with magnification on the back button (if not back-button AF), so using Focus Peaking with that method will be perfectly natural. :D
    Olympus E-P3 PEN | Olympus E-PM2 PEN Mini | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast