Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Oly Sensor-shift Image stabilization

In practical terms, how effective is PEN's system image stabilization compared to 5-Axis IBIS of E-M5? I'm considering E-PM2 as backup simply because it has very similar interface with E-M5 and its attractive pricing. I have not used any of smaller Olympus cameras before and wondering, at what situation can I trust E-PM2 to do the job as-well-as E-M5. In other words, under what situation(s) I simply better off be sticking with E-M5? I always shoot with IS1 auto and I do not shoot long, my lens selection varies from UWA S7.5 / P14 / PL25 / O45, all of which does not have lens OIS. Thanks.
    Last edited by jsusilo; October 13th, 2012 at 07:17 PM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jsusilo View Post
    In practical terms, how effective is PEN's system image stabilization compared to 5-Axis IBIS of E-M5? I'm considering E-PM2 as backup
    You're in good hands with the E-PM2.

Hand-held, 1/8th shutter speed with my E-PL2

Go With The Flow @ 1/8 Shutter Speed by RedTail_Panther, on Flickr

Hand-held, 1/3rd shutter speed with my E-PL2

Miniature Golf Waterfall @ 1/3 Shutter Speed by RedTail_Panther, on Flickr
    Olympus E-PL5
    M. Zuiko 17mm 1.8 | M. Zuiko 17mm 2.8 | M. Zuiko 14-42 II | M. Zuiko 14-150 ED | M. Zuiko 45mm 1.8 ED | M. Zuiko 75mm 1.8 ED | M. Zuiko 75-300 ED II | Leica DG Summilux 25mm 1.4 ASPH | Lumix G Vario 45-200 |

3. The following member thanks RT_Panther for this post:

Real Name
    Mikey

The 2- vs. 5-axis IBIS is crucial when going long (or macro) but should not be in your range. With UWA (and even at 12mm), it's hard to not get everything in focus. I once had to shoot with my E-PL3 and Oly 12/2 handheld for 1.6 secs for a night shot while holding my breath and it turned out decent. I think if 45 is the furthest you'll need to go then you'll be just fine.

Wrigley
    Pediatric oncologist, photo enthusiast, and proud Pinoy!

PL 25/1.4, mZD 75/1.8 (technically still an MFT owner)

mikeyhuang.smugmug.com

RT_Panther | yekimrd, impressive pictures for hand-held! Thank you for sharing. I had a feeling E-PM2 will work just fine to begin with but now I got the confirmation :) Actually, the main reason I need second body is because I prefer E-M5 to stay in my hand the whole time and not sharing with GF, she just messes things up most of the time :) I am also hopeful E-PM2 will be simpler and thus easier to use much like P&S. Thanks again. J
    Last edited by jsusilo; October 13th, 2012 at 08:14 PM.

No scientific measuring here, so take it with a grain of salt, but my gut feeling is that the OM-D offers (in practice) about two stops better stabilization. This is by comparing to the E-PL2 and E-PM1 which I had/have.

It's not that easily measurable though, because it depends on the shooting conditions. The 5-axis IBIS, as the name implies, stabilizes the lens depending on the body slight movement while shooting. What I mean is, there would be cases when there is no difference at all.

Real Name
    Nic

I think that the debate over the additional effectiveness (or not) E-M5 IBIS rarely goes into the mechanics of what makes it different from other systems. Traditional lens-based and sensor-based IS systems counterract camera motion in one plane only i.e. motion in the X (left-right) and Y (up-down directions). If the motion is limited to this plane only then there should be no real advantage to the E-M5. The difference in the E-M5 "five-axis" system is that the sensor is not constrained in any direction so it is also capable of correcting for pitch, yaw, and roll. The diagram on the first page of DPreview's E-M5 review shows this nicely:

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Review: Digital Photography Review

Simply put, what makes the E-M5 different is that it is capable of correcting for a wider range of camera motions.
    Nic
    E-M5, GH1
    Flickr Photostream
    >> Insert quote here <<

Real Name
    Mikey

Quote Originally Posted by jsusilo View Post
    Actually, the main reason I need second body is because I prefer E-M5 to stay in my hand the whole time and not sharing with GF, she just messes things up most of the time :) J
    You're a smart guy, Jsusilo!
    Pediatric oncologist, photo enthusiast, and proud Pinoy!

PL 25/1.4, mZD 75/1.8 (technically still an MFT owner)

mikeyhuang.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by Luckypenguin View Post
    I think that the debate over the additional effectiveness (or not) E-M5 IBIS rarely goes into the mechanics of what makes it different from other systems. Traditional lens-based and sensor-based IS systems counterract camera motion in one plane only i.e. motion in the X (left-right) and Y (up-down directions). If the motion is limited to this plane only then there should be no real advantage to the E-M5. The difference in the E-M5 "five-axis" system is that the sensor is not constrained in any direction so it is also capable of correcting for pitch, yaw, and roll. The diagram on the first page of DPreview's E-M5 review shows this nicely:

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Review: Digital Photography Review

Simple put, what makes the E-M5 different is that it is capable of correcting for a wider range of camera motions.
    One more thing to add to '5-axis IBIS': ...although one would think that we're more likely 'shake' our camera in up/down fashion due to our hold, we're not robots that only move in x and y axis... so that's probably why the 5-axis compensation works wonders compared to its previous iterations.

...anddddd, we don't take 100% of our pictures in landscape/portrait orientation leveled to the horizon...
    OMD & GX1

Arrow

Then there's the sensor cleaning of the 5-axis IBIS ....
    Olympus E-PL5
    M. Zuiko 17mm 1.8 | M. Zuiko 17mm 2.8 | M. Zuiko 14-42 II | M. Zuiko 14-150 ED | M. Zuiko 45mm 1.8 ED | M. Zuiko 75mm 1.8 ED | M. Zuiko 75-300 ED II | Leica DG Summilux 25mm 1.4 ASPH | Lumix G Vario 45-200 |

Regardless of the technologies involved, and the theoretical advantages of either, there have been a few actual comparisons between different systems. There's really no objective way to measure this, since every photographer is different, and the movements generated by the photographer is complex and ever changing. But I think most people accepted that the older Pen IBIS was less effective than Panasonic's OIS with long lenses. I've seen comparisons of the OM-D IBIS with both the 12-35 and the 100-300. The OM-D, in one particular test with the 12-35, was marginally better than in-lens IS. With the 100-300, the OIS was marginally better. Not a big difference in either case, however.

All of the systems will help when you're shooting static subjects hand-held. None of them are a replacement for faster shutter speeds if your subject is moving even a little bit. My experience, starting with a Canon 70-200 IS lens, up to the present day OM-D and OIS lenses, is that IS is much more important with longer lenses.

While it's certainly nice to be able to stabilize wide angle lenses, I don't consider it critical, but if you shoot longer legacy lenses IBIS is very desirable.

I have both Panasonic and Oly m43 bodies, btw, so this isn't about making excuses or being a ******.
    Broke my wrist, typing one handed -- please excuse any and all typos. :)

This is why large grips are so useful!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast