Default Shotgun Mics for Olympus Pen

Hi,
    I've been filming wildlife with an Olympus Pen E-PL1 (connected to a Sigma 500mm lens via an adapter), and getting quite good sound with the Olympus ME51S external microphone. However, I want more directional sound, so tried two shotgun mics - a Hama RMZ-10, and a Sony ECM-CG50. Both gave extremely low volume sound, to the point of being almost inaudible. I tried using a pre-amp, and turning up the gain, which helped a bit, but not enough.
    Anyone used a shotgun mic successfully with my camera (or similar), and which one was it? (I'm a total novice at this as you can no doubt tell.)
    Thanks.

I use a Zoom H2 as a pre-amp and an Audio-Technia ATR6550 Condenser Shotgun Mic with good results. A wind filter is a must, other wise there will be a lot of wind noise recorded.

Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : ATR6550 Condenser Shotgun Microphone

H2 Handy Recorder

Thanks for the suggestion.
    I was wondering whether any shotgun mics would give good results plugged directly into the EMA-1 mic. adapter (like the ME51S), or whether a pre-amp would likely always be needed with a shotgun mic to boost the volume?

How far away are the animals? Shotguns are very directional but don't reach extremely far. I have done sound for movies and moving the shotgun back just a few feet can make the audio unusable{and get you yelled at by the sound mixer and maybe the assistant director}. As a general rule the longer the shotgun the longer distance it can pick up but it also tends to pic up a narrower frequency range. Shotgun mics are set for the human range and it could be that the animals are higher/lower in frequency? You might want to check out a parabolic mic{they can be home made!}.
    Olympus E-PL1, E-PL2, E-P3
    VF2 two of them!
    Oly 14-42mm, Oly 40-150mm{sold}, Oly 14-150mm, Pan 14mm, Pan 20mm{sold}, Oly 45mm, Sigma 30mm{sold}, Oly 15mm Bodycap, Lensbaby Tilt Transformer, Lomography Experiment Kit - more coming soon!
    Many legacy lenses, mostly Nikkor.

I suspect that the two microphones that you used need Phantom power to be audible. In other words, they get power from the camera. And I dont think your camera offers that. There are alternatives to this with mics that run on batteries. Some manufacturers run two models on their mics for this reason. I think Rode offers this. We use an NTG series mic on a weekly basis and it offers good results. Audio Technica is known as a good cost efficient brand too.

I use a Rode (not a shotgun version) with good results, on my GH2

C U,
    Rafael

Gerald has it right. You want a self (battery) powered mic. The camera is not providing enough power to the mics.

Hi, Appreciate the replies. Both the shotgun mics I have tried are powered by a single AA battery.
    Here's a link to my first effort to film with this camera, using the external Olympus ME51S microphone mounted on the end of the lens, and using a homemade wind muff (the birds are about five to ten metres away):

The sound is not bad, but I was hoping for something more directional to cut out some of the extraneous noises behind the camera, hence trying a shotgun. As I said, even using an ART pre-amp with the gain turned right up, the volume is still below that of the Olympus mic. Perhaps I might sell the Sony and try with an Audio Technica or Rode. Pity Olympus didn't make a dedicated shotgun mic for the Pen cameras!

Quote Originally Posted by Jez View Post
    The sound is not bad, but I was hoping for something more directional to cut out some of the extraneous noises behind the camera, hence trying a shotgun. As I said, even using an ART pre-amp with the gain turned right up, the volume is still below that of the Olympus mic. Perhaps I might sell the Sony and try with an Audio Technica or Rode. Pity Olympus didn't make a dedicated shotgun mic for the Pen cameras!
    The mics pick up sound from the back almost as much as they do from the front. Generally speaking I run a Rode Video Mic Pro and either run it straight into the camera via the SEMA1 connector if I'm working loose and fast, or if I'm static and using a tripod then I connect the mic via a Zoom H2n recorder this enables me to monitor the levels via screen and headphones.

Quote Originally Posted by Jez View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Amyes View Post
    The mics pick up sound from the back almost as much as they do from the front. Generally speaking I run a Rode Video Mic Pro and either run it straight into the camera via the SEMA1 connector if I'm working loose and fast, or if I'm static and using a tripod then I connect the mic via a Zoom H2n recorder this enables me to monitor the levels via screen and headphones.
    Yes, shotgun mics pick up behind them as well as in front! They have a pickup pattern like this.

This is the reason why they are pointed down when used on a set.

For the best results for what you are doing I would use a parabolic mic. You can use the shotgun head if the tube will screw off and build your own. They are true uni-directional and have a much longer pickup range than any other mic.
    Last edited by speedandstyle; October 18th, 2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: edit
    Olympus E-PL1, E-PL2, E-P3
    VF2 two of them!
    Oly 14-42mm, Oly 40-150mm{sold}, Oly 14-150mm, Pan 14mm, Pan 20mm{sold}, Oly 45mm, Sigma 30mm{sold}, Oly 15mm Bodycap, Lensbaby Tilt Transformer, Lomography Experiment Kit - more coming soon!
    Many legacy lenses, mostly Nikkor.