Ads by Google

Amazon

B&H Photo

Adorama

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Real Name
    rob collins

Default FL600R Flash Diffuser?

I am looking for a good diffuser for the FL600R. I dont think Olympus makes one.

In any case I am not worried about the brand and simply want a diffuser that is suddenly going to make all my photos look great.

Searching the web I have come across Gary Fong who is pretty convinced that if I use his diffuser (which supposedly fits the FL36R), my photos will improve considerably. Anyone tried his products? Or anything else for that matter?

I'm looking for a diffuser that fits FL600R too.

I really like the Gary Fong lightsphere collapsible, it fits the FL600R flash without having to worry about it falling off. It lights up the room very well and I do not have the problem with those unwanted shadows, and it really does a great job outside as well. I also like the stofen omnibounce, since stofen has come out with one just for the FL600R. They are both great, but my favorite is the stofen omnibounce since it is smaller and much easier to carry around with me in my bag, although I can carry the Gary Fong in my bag as well.

Quote Originally Posted by robbie36 View Post
    I am looking for a good diffuser for the FL600R. I dont think Olympus makes one.

In any case I am not worried about the brand and simply want a diffuser that is suddenly going to make all my photos look great.

Searching the web I have come across Gary Fong who is pretty convinced that if I use his diffuser (which supposedly fits the FL36R), my photos will improve considerably. Anyone tried his products? Or anything else for that matter?
    see here:
    Sto-Fen Omni Bounce for New OM FL-600R Flash * | eBay

5. Default

Not able to locate the omnibounce for the fl 600 r on amazon ! Pl help !

Personally, I am no fan of bounce-light diffusers like the Sto-Fen and Gary Fong. These diffusers require a ceiling or wall to bounce off of, which not only limits you but also casts uneven light from one direction. I much prefer a directional softbox which directly softens the light while aimed where you actually want the light. The closest one I know of for speedlights which is available commercially and simulates the softening methods we use with studio strobes, would be the Lumiquest Softbox, which comes in a number of sizes.

Personally, I don't find it quite strong enough for the type of soft light I like, so I make my own speedlight modifiers since there are none on the market which meet my needs. Ironically though, it costs me about $3/apiece to make mine, which I find to be much more effective than the $80 options they sell in the camera store. I guess you could say that's reason #2 why I make my own, second from performance.

I do use one of the Lumiquest softboxes, for precisely the reason that it is not as strong a modifier as my own. Sometimes that's what I want, sometimes not. Light modifiers are a very personal thing really...

(One of my Cyclops Type-B modifiers pictured on an FL-36R. If you're in my area, I actually make these for people for a small fee which covers my cost. I do this not for any profit, but to allow people to opportunity to rid themselves of overpriced and ineffective commercial junk.)
    Last edited by Ned; November 5th, 2012 at 02:46 PM.
    Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by ashishbajoria View Post
    Not able to locate the omnibounce for the fl 600 r on amazon ! Pl help !
    I went through my local dealer and he ordered it for me.

The Better Bounce Card can essentially be replicated by going to the craft store aisle that sells that sells EVA foam sheets.

The local one sells A4 (8.3 in × 11.7 in) sized sheets (both plain and with a self-adhesive backing) for $US 0.89. A self-adhesive white sheet adhered to a black one, cut to preferred size/shape and attached to the flash with a velcro cable tie, make for a rather professional looking, and quite large, reflector. I've found I still far prefer bouncing off walls, but it does make for nice large catchlights in the eyes. The larger sizes of the EVA foam are also excellent for product photography backgrounds.

I've been playing around with DIY flash diffusers for macro photography (where appearance isn't that relevant). This one was made with an empty windshield washer solution bottle, some spare adhesive EVA foam, and the aluminized mylar interior from a bag of chips:

Ghetto Flash Diffuser by Sanpaku1, on Flickr
    Last edited by Sanpaku; November 5th, 2012 at 08:58 PM.
    E-M5 | GX-1 (full spectrum) | Pan 7-14 f/4 | Pan 12-35 f/2.8 | PL 25 f/1.4 | mZD 60 f/2.8 macro | mZD 75 f/1.8
    for sale/trade: Pan 8 f/4 fisheye, Tamron SP 300 f/5.6 | seeking: mZD 45 f/1.8, mZD 75-300 f/4.8-6.7

I have the same issue and am considering 2 options:

1. Lumiquest light box
    2. Demb flip it.

The light box is more a front on diffuser whereas the demb operates with the flash head turned 90 degrees. It uses a hinged panel to deflect the light in varying degrees and can be easily changed from portrait to landscape orientation.

Both these units do not rely on walls or ceilings for bounce.

Real Name
    rob collins

Default bought the omnibounce

I bought the omnibounce along with a foldup softbox. I like the omnibounce as it is small and doesnt add much to the size of my flash and works well in my house that has white ceilings.

I also have found a small plug-in for photoshop that helps called 'shineoff' which basically does what it says on the box, taking away the reflections caused by flash with the press of one button (purists will obviously hate it as you could do the same in photoshop with a little effort.)

Here is a before....

...and after...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robcoll/

OMD, 7-14, 12-35, PL25, O45, O75
    Bessa R2A, VC 35 1.4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast