Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Micro 4/3s Revisited Article by Thom Hogan

Writer & photographer Thom Hogan has a little article on his web site entitled, Micro 4/3 (Briefly) Revisited that is worth a quick read. It is about 1/2 way down the page.

Thom Hogan's Nikon Field Guide and Nikon Flash Guide

2. The following 3 members thank john1027 for this post:

Thanks - I usually visit his site every week or so and had not yet seen this post. Interesting and thoughtful points.

a nice read ..........thanks

I can identify with his impressions. Getting the G1, and later the GH1 inspired me to pick up a few inexpensive film cameras (Canon FTb(n) and F-1) and get to the purity of manual film cameras. I'm having a LOT of fun on this photographic journey, and it's all been inspired because of these cameras. Having the ability to adapt so many different types of lenses is why I bought into this standard in the first place, and it's been very much worth it.

Interesting article. Since I missed the whole DSLR phase and just went from film SLRs to a P&S hiatus when the kids demanded my time and arms to now M43, it didn't occur to me that this was a step back closer to the way things used to be, having not quite taken all of the steps to how things are today at the top of the DSLR range. To me, it just seems like a big step forward and has forced me to remember a lot of stuff I'd forgotten about photography. I like thinking through the exposure options and what I'm going for when I'm shooting. It didn't occur to me that you'd have to do less of that with a high end DSLR?

But 99% of this stuff is about allowing yourself to see what's there in creative and interesting ways. The craft you can learn and get consistently good at with whatever set of tools you have. The art is like being in the zone when you're playing basketball or jazz - sometimes you're in it and sometimes you can't even see it from here. That's what photography has always been about and always will be about. And, of course, its the place where I constantly fail to live up to my hopes and dreams. Which is cool and the way it should be - its what keeps me trying.

-Ray

7. The following member thanks Ray Sachs for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ray S View Post
    Interesting article. Since I missed the whole DSLR phase and just went from film SLRs to a P&S hiatus when the kids demanded my time and arms to now M43, it didn't occur to me that this was a step back closer to the way things used to be, having not quite taken all of the steps to how things are today at the top of the DSLR range. To me, it just seems like a big step forward and has forced me to remember a lot of stuff I'd forgotten about photography. I like thinking through the exposure options and what I'm going for when I'm shooting. It didn't occur to me that you'd have to do less of that with a high end DSLR?

But 99% of this stuff is about allowing yourself to see what's there in creative and interesting ways. The craft you can learn and get consistently good at with whatever set of tools you have. The art is like being in the zone when you're playing basketball or jazz - sometimes you're in it and sometimes you can't even see it from here. That's what photography has always been about and always will be about. And, of course, its the place where I constantly fail to live up to my hopes and dreams. Which is cool and the way it should be - its what keeps me trying.

-Ray
    I agree. GF1 is my first "serious" camera, so I don't know what I am missing out with other DSLRs. At the same time, I am having fun and am quite happy with m4/3 (at least until I can afford a Leica M9 haha ).

9. Default

I can't find the article. In which column and under which heading is it located? Does it have a link?

[QUOTE=john1027;31511]Writer & photographer Thom Hogan has a little article on his web site entitled, Micro 4/3 (Briefly) Revisited that is worth a quick read. It is about 1/2 way down the page.

John, thanks for this.
    I like his writing because he keeps things uncluttered and simple.
    I did have the Canon 5D and Nikon D300.
    Now it's the Pen 1&2 and there's no looking back.
    I don't miss anything at all from either beast.

[QUOTE=Carol Stee;31558]I can't find the article. In which column and under which heading is it located? Does it have a link?

Quote Originally Posted by john1027 View Post
    Writer & photographer Thom Hogan has a little article on his web site entitled, Micro 4/3 (Briefly) Revisited that is worth a quick read. It is about 1/2 way down the page.
    Carol,

It has moved off the front page. Apparently it has not moved to his archived area for 2010 yet. I sent an email asking if it was going to be available. In the meantime, someone at DPR pasted the article into a thread in the m 4/3s forum which has ignited a little heated discussion about whether or not that was proper. You can of course read the article at DPR within that thread, but I think we should not do the same thing here and just wait until he has a link again and we can then update this post.

12. Default

I went back and read his initial review of the E-P1. I'm not sure he understood, then. It seemed to me that he was unhappy that it wasn't a small Nikon D700 for $800. Not that his views aren't valid, but he seemed to be more upset with what the camera wasn't than pleased with what it was.

I have to say, I got it, instantly. set it to center weighted, single point, "M", "S", or "A", and go shoot. Next. Neck strap? Never took it out of the plastic, didn't even think to look at it. Made of plastic? Don't drop it. No viewfinder? Celebrate the advantages of Live View (camera not tied to your face) instead of moaning about what you don't have.

I'm glad to see he finally gets it. But I would have expected it to not take so long. FWIW, I haven't turned on my Canon 7D since I got this thing, except to take a picture of the E-P1.

13. The following 3 members thank Mosca for this post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast