Real Name
    Amin

Default Olympus 60mm Macro Reviews Posted by Robin Wong and Ming Thein

Robin Wong and Ming Thein have each posted their review of the new Olympus 60mm f/2.8 macro. Both Robin and Ming are great photographers who write terrific reviews.

Direct links:

Robin Wong: Olympus M.Zuiko 60mm F2.8 Macro Review: General Shooting

Review: The Olympus ZD 60mm f2.8 Macro and FL-600R wireless flash system

I enjoyed both of these reviews a lot, and while I have decided against buying this lens, these reviews are testing my resolve. If I were in the market for a macro lens, I'd probably buy the Olympus 60 over the Panasonic Leica 45 because of working distance and price. That said, the PL45 is one of my all-time favorite lenses, is more compact, and there is a very special character to the images it creates. Hard to go wrong with either it seems.
    Amin
    Mu-43.com Webmaster (Site FAQ | Help Forum | My Disclosures | My Flickriver | My G+ Profile)

You can help pay our server bills when you buy anything online: http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=55354

2. The following 7 members thank Amin Sabet for this post:

Real Name
    Jay

Thanks Amin, I've been waiting for the other half of Robin's review with great interest. I happened upon the 60mm in stock on Amazon last week and decided on impulse to give it a try and it should be here tomorrow. Looking forward to trying out the 60mm side by side with the PL 45mm and comparing the the relative merits of each as both macro and general use lenses
    500px | flickr

“The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.” -- Dorothea Lange

Real Name
    Bob

I already own, and love, the Olympus 45mm so this lens would give me more reach as well as macro. I'm happy using legacy lenses for macro work because I'd use manual focus anyway - but reviews like this are also tempting me.
    Love mercy, do justice, walk humbly - Micah 6:8
    "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words." Ansel Adams

Real Name
    Dara

Quote Originally Posted by Amin Sabet View Post
    Robin Wong and Ming Thein have each posted their review of the new Olympus 60mm f/2.8 macro. Both Robin and Ming are great photographers who write terrific reviews.

Review: The Olympus ZD 60mm f2.8 Macro and FL-600R wireless flash system
    I'm particularly impressed by the lack of longitudinal CA being reported. The Olympus ZD 50/2 was a very good lens but it had loads of LoCA. It looks like we really do have a successor to that lens now.

About the only minor downside I can see is the size - the PL 45/2.8 is wonderfully compact, but the mZD 60/2.8 is not. Well - it wouldn't be fair to have all the advantages in just one lens!

DH
    E-M5 | E-PM2 | mZD 12-40/2.8 | mZD 12-50/3.5-6.3 | P 14-42/3.5-5.6 II | P 45-150/4.0-5.6 | P 14/2.5 | P 20/1.7 | PL 25/1.4 | mZD 45/1.8