Ads by Google

Amazon

B&H Photo

Adorama

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Real Name
    Amin

Default Updated: First Images of the Olympus 15mm f/8 Lens?

A new source identified as nanoloop sent us this image, reportedly showing the rear aspect of the not-yet-announced Olympus 15mm f/8 lens:

The photo looks legit, showing a Micro 4/3 mount, tiny optics (as would be expected for a lens this slow), no electrical contacts (meaning no AF), and no iris blades (meaning fixed aperture).

UPDATE: nanoloop sent a second image of the lens:

Looks more like a body cap than a lens!

43 Rumors published specs for the Oly 15mm f/8 a couple weeks ago (link):

Focal lenght: 15 mm (equivalent to 30 mm on a 35 mm camera) :
    Aperture: F8 fixed
    Dimensions :Max.dia.Ø56(2.2in.)× length 9 (0.4 in.) mm
    Design: 3 groups, 3 lenses
    Focus: 0.30 m (11.8 in.) to infinite. Manual Focusing (Three settings)
    Weight: 22 g (0.8 oz.)
    It's less than half the length and weight of the diminuitive Pana 14. If it's also less than half the price, I expect that it will be well received. 15mm and f/8 with three focus settings is going to introduce a lot of folks to the joys of zone focusing, where one can focus on composition and timing. I think we'll see a lot of it in our Real Street Thread .

Other sources have indicated that this tiny and super thin lens will be bundled with the E-PM2 and/or E-PL5. Moreover, we've gotten additional confirmation that as we reported a couple weeks ago, those Pens will use the E-M5 sensor. I can now upgrade that rumor to a solid grade A-.

Addendum: I initially referred to this as an mZD lens but was corrected by nanoloop, who said that this is not an mZD. Unless I'm mistaken, that would make it the first non-mZD lens from Olympus for Micro 4/3. The beginning of a series of some sort?

[Thanks nanoloop]
    Amin
    Mu-43.com Webmaster (Site FAQ | Help Forum | My Disclosures | My Flickriver | My G+ Profile)

Note: Links in this post may be to our affiliates. We get a small referral fee when you buy after clicking our link. Your price is unaffected.

2. The following 4 members thank Amin Sabet for this post:

Real Name
    Tom

Really looking forward to seeing how this lens performs and what it will cost. With the 14mm Panny being about $150, 21mm thick, and f/2.5 I think it'll have to be pretty good to garner much interest. I also think that's a good possibility.
    GM1 & OM-D in sunny Florida

Real Name
    Amin

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow View Post
    Really looking forward to seeing how this lens performs and what it will cost. With the 14mm Panny being about $150, 21mm thick, and f/2.5 I think it'll have to be pretty good to garner much interest. I also think that's a good possibility.
    The Pana 14 still has a street price of ~$300 from authorized dealers (lowest I see is $260 at Amazon). Those very low Ebay prices are thought to represent lenses parted out as surplus from kits.

I expect the Oly to be bundled with the small Pens, to retail for much less than the Pana 14, and to be had on Ebay for very little. It will be more of a fun lens rather than a top performer.
    Amin
    Mu-43.com Webmaster (Site FAQ | Help Forum | My Disclosures | My Flickriver | My G+ Profile)

Note: Links in this post may be to our affiliates. We get a small referral fee when you buy after clicking our link. Your price is unaffected.

Real Name
    Sidinei

I'll get one of these if it goes to ebay for 70-80 bucks. If it was a 18mm I would pay more. I'm glad to see how broad the offer of m4/3 lenses is.

6. The following 2 members thank sLorenzi for this post:

Real Name
    Promit Roy

I'd just like to point out that with this lens, you will get no lens EXIF. Somewhat more problematic, the EM5 won't stabilize it in video mode. Thanks Olympus
    Olympus E-M5, Panasonic GH3, Sony A77, lenses.

8. The following member thanks Promit for this post:

Real Name
    rob collins

Well its cheap. And I quite want to buy an epm2 (or whatever it will be called) to give to the gf so she stops nicking my OM-D. I dont want to pay for another rubbish 14-42 or dull 17 2.8, so getting it with the new lens is practically like buying a body only camera.

Real Name
    Amin

From what I've learned so far, I like it. Something different. I'd love to have a zone focusing switch on my Pana 14/2.5.
    Amin

Could this be a sign that all of the other Olympus lens rumors will remain as rumors? I would hate for that.

Real Name
    Amin

There's a good chance we won't see anything other than this lens and the 60mm macro.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Mu-43 App
    Amin

Talking

And the three settings of this lens will be:

Near,
    Far,
    Wherever you are.

You're welcome, Celine Dion.

14. The following 7 members thank andix for this post:

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast