Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need lens suggestions

Hi,

2 days ago I got myself the E-P1. I am not interested in manual lenses, but don't have any clue as to what lens to get or adapter, what do people mean by legacy adapter mount etc.

There is a used camera store nearby, and they sell used old lenses. If I go there what should I look for, what about adapters etc.

I probably need a portrait lens, a lens for low light and a tele lens. Oh! i forgot to mention that it needs to be inexpensive. My wife cleared me for teh cam, but I don't think I can get away with expensive lenses now.

I have heard people talking about $20, $30 , $50 lenses. Under $100 is what I am looking for.

Kindly suggest which lens and where can I find it.

Legacy lenses are the old type from the film SLR days, or Leica rangefinder days.
    They will be manual focus and will need an adapter for your camera.
    Myself, I prefer the dedicated lenses for this format. I like Auto Focus etc...that being said, I have many legacy lenses and only use a few.
    An adapter should be in the $50.00 USD range if you get it from Ebay..RJ adapters.
    If you want to try this MF stuff, the best way to start is with Konica Hexanon AR lenses.
    The 40mm 1.8, will be an 80mm 1.8 on your camera and that makes a great fast portrait lens...cost about $40.00+.

So, if your NOT INTERESTED in MF lenses as you state...you need to get dedicated lenses and now The Wife will enter the scene and you can't wash enough dishes the rest of your life to sneak this past her...

The used market for dedicated is just starting to take root but still, it's a spell before any good deals come up.
    Shooter

legacy lenses are lenses from the past , legacy adapters are hollow tubes that allow connecting the legacy lens to your camera

you say you dont want manual lenses but that what these lenses are , at least in terms of focus , they are still automatic exposure in apeture prriority mode a on the dial so they take a well exposed photo automatically in that mode

you will get to choose the size of the hole that lets light in, which will give you nice options to control the look of your photo

when i first got my ep1 i never imagiined i would become so fond of manual focus
    the huge aftermarket of old lenses and the relitive bargains many , though not all remain , has lit a fire for micro 4\3 cameras like the ep1 as extraordinary glass has found a new life on this format
    the adapters are an easy choice , when you choose a makers lens

say a konica ar or a canon fd lens , an adapter matched is available for 25-50 dollars
    when you use a 35 mm lens on micro 4\3 something interesting happens
    a 50 lens becomes a "100 a 70 - 210 zoom becomes a 140 -420 mm super zoom

very cool stuff and not difficult at all , it may seem so now but a little total immersion
    in legacy glass will turn you into a devoted manual shooter in no time

now careful what you pay , your local store should be patronized if prices are fair , you can check on e bay or ask here on this thread

manual focus is a little more work , but is more precise and specific when done manually
    use the excellent af lenses when speed or convience is a factor and , shift gears and discover your creative side with legacy glass

if you want to do it inexpensively buy one adapter and 2 or 3 legacy lenses

minolta md... konica ar ... canon fd ... nikon ai\ais.... olympus om.....
    contax yashica slr .... rollei slr and many more are availabe for a song

the best bargain witgh awesomwe quality is konica , but they are all worthy choices
    of course different lenses have different strengths and weaknessess and youy can look it up on the web or ask here chances are someone here has had an encounter and can offer info

I have two bags full of legacy lenses and enjoy them all. I have the Hexanon 40 1.8 but prefer the Pentax
    SMC 50 1.4 as it is sharper at 2.0 than the Hexanon.

Manual focus is really no problems with the G1 as long as you are not trying to focus on fast moving objects with a wide aperature.

Forget most lenses less than 35mm focal length. Many don't work well and you are better off with the kit lens or dedicated m4/3 lenses.

Larry

I don't know where I stated that I DON"T want manual lenses. I am looking for manual lenses because they are inexpensive. I don't have the money now to spend on AF lenses. So to keep it simple for me. Kindly recommend a MF lens which can be used in lowlight and is sharp and inexpensive.

Get the Konica 40mm 1.8 and then the Konica 75mm 1.4.
    They will blow you away for a very cheap price. You only need 1 adapter.

In regards to Post #5 above....
    Your original post is here...that's what confused allabody....
    Quote Originally Posted by 369 View Post
    Hi,
    2 days ago I got myself the E-P1. I am not interested in manual lenses, but don't have any clue as to what lens to get or adapter, what do people mean by legacy adapter mount etc.

Hi,

I don't know where I stated that I DON"T want manual lenses. I am looking for manual lenses because they are inexpensive.
    The original post stated that you were not interested in manual lenses. I'm thinking it was a typo, and you meant to say you were "NOW" interested.

As far as inexpensive lenses, the "M42 mount" screw mount for SLR's tends to have a lot of cheap lenses these days. This is the Pentax screw mount SLR type lens, many manufacturers used it in the 60s and 70s. A lot of cheap glass out there.
    Last edited by Brian S; May 25th, 2010 at 05:52 AM.

Streetshooter, thanks for pointing out my typo, Brian thanks for being able to read my mind, Yes I meant NOW.

Anyways, I will call the camera store today and ask for the Konica 40mm 1.8 or the 75mm 1.4. What will I ask him about the adapter - what is it called?
    I don't think he will have an adapter, but if not then where can I find one?

Lastly, since these are MF lenses, the difference is just that I need to foucus it manually with the focusing ring right? or is it more complicated than that.

thank you all.

Hey man,
    We have to all cover each other.
    The adapter can be had on eBay easilly.
    They run around $40.00 up alittle.
    If you use A mode then just focus, set your aperture and your good to go.
    it's as easy as that.
    I think you mean the 40 1.8 or the 57 1.4, not the 75.
    I have both and they perform great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast