Ads by Google

Amazon

B&H Photo

Adorama

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Real Name
    Amin

Default Photokina Rumor: New Olympus 25mm f/1.8 and 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0 Lenses

A few weeks ago, I received a tip that Olympus was going to bring out black versions of their 12mm and 45mm primes. Seemed plausible, but I didn't publish it. A short while later, several rumor sites broke that rumor.

Now the same source is claiming that we'll see two new lenses announced bv Olympus at Photokina:
    • 25mm f/1.8: Size between current 17 and 45mm primes; built like 45mm; ~$200-250

• 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0: Weather sealed; Length similar to 12-50mm kit lens but "fatter"; "high grade" build; ~$800-900

Both lenses to be announced at Photokina in September and available Q4 2012. Same source is saying that we'll also see new Pen cameras announced at Photokina and available Q4 2012.

It all sounds a bit too good to be true, but I think an inexpensive f/1.8 "normal" lens would be great for our system, and a Micro 4/3 version of the ZD 12-60 has to be one of the most requested lenses around.

Rumor Grade: C

Rumor Evidence Grading System:
    A = Proven source, rumor extremely likely to be correct
    B = Good source, rumor likely to be correct
    C = New source, rumor plausible
    Amin
    Mu-43.com Webmaster (Site FAQ | Help Forum | My Disclosures | My Flickriver | My G+ Profile)

Note: Links in this post may be to our affiliates. We get a small referral fee when you buy after clicking our link. Your price is unaffected.

2. The following 8 members thank Amin Sabet for this post:

The 25mm f/1.8, if indeed real, will be a terrific alternative to what we have available right now for the format. Especially if it shares the same build and quality as the Olympus 45mm f/1.8.

4. The following member thanks PointZero for this post:

Both would be great additions to the lens lineup. Hopefully they will come in black
    A few of my photos can be found here: http://jeffryscott.com/

6. The following member thanks jeffryscott for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Amin Sabet View Post
    A few weeks ago, I received a tip that Olympus was going to bring out black versions of their 12mm and 45mm primes. Seemed plausible, but I didn't publish it. A short while later, several rumor sites broke that rumor.

Now the same source is claiming that we'll see two new lenses announced bv Olympus at Photokina:
    • 25mm f/1.8: Size between current 17 and 45mm primes; built like 45mm; ~$200-250

• 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0: Weather sealed; Length similar to 12-50mm kit lens but "fatter"; "high grade" build; ~$800-900
    That would be awesome. So awesome that it's hard not to be a tad skeptical...

On the one hand, an inexpensive normal lens is an obvious option. But given that the far-from-stellar 17/2.8 is still being sold for $300, it seems odd that they'd off a more interesting lens for a lower price.

But the m4/3 12-60/2.8-4.0 is really the lens I'm waiting for. Hope this time it's for real.

DH

If true I'll be getting both.
    Professional Photographer, Lumix Luminary using Micro 4/3 Gear
    Find me online here-
    Blog Small Camera Big Picture
    Google Plus Circle me on G+
    Flickr Small Camera Big Picture Flickr Group
    Portfolio - Giulio Sciorio

I'd only buy the 25 if it's a skinnier version of the PL25...
    2x E-M5+HLD-6 | Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 | Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm f/2.8

Flickr

OMG: So I am gonna def need a Suger Mama to pay for all this great glass! (if rumors pan out ;) )

12-60mm would be the best mid range zoom on any system if true.

I hope the 25mm will be a pancake. Droooool. I'm ok with size comparable to the 45 too.

Real Name
    Promit Roy

Amin, knock it off. I was just thinking to myself, you know, I've got the OMD and there's no need to get more stuff. And now this?
    Olympus E-M5, Panasonic GH3, Sony A77, lenses.

13. The following 2 members thank Promit for this post:

I'd love another 25 option... Tho a better/worse 17 option would be even better,... For ME lol
    I currently just use el cheapo 25/1.4 CCTV eBay special
    I love the rendering from the panny tho
    I look fwd to seeing how the oly renders

- Eliot@Austin, TX
    * ~ ! (-: P A R T I C I P A T E :-D ! ~ *
    Take a look at the latest friendly challenges in our forums!
    --> http://www.mu-43.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48 <---

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast