Ads by Google

Amazon

B&H Photo

Adorama

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default DPReview review (as opposed to preview) OM-D EM-5

2. The following 6 members thank Gyroscope for this post:

Looks awesome. Most interesting note? Better Dynamic Range than the NEX-7 (equal in highlights, better in shadows with the normal tone curves on both cameras). If you select the widest DR range tone curve for each camera, the E-M5 has MUCH wider DR than the NEX-7 or NEX-5N. With that wide DR curve, the E-M5 is even surpassing the D7000 in dynamic range (though a little worse at the standard tone curve). Surprising. :) Trusted DR numbers were about the only thing I was waiting for...now to figure out what to do about this camera....what can I sell, and how much do I want the GH2's better video? (I don't shoot much video, but I do love having the option for really high quality video when I want it).
    ------------------------------
    Jordan Steele - http://www.jordansteele.com
    Admiring Light - http://www.admiringlight.com

4. The following 2 members thank Jman for this post:

Great review. The E-M5 is really proving how capable small cameras can be. The conclusion mentioning the only way to notice any real difference in image quality was to shoot full frame was pretty interesting.
    Olympus OM-D E-M5, PEN E-PM1.

Oly 45mm, 12-50mm, Pana 20mm, Samyang 7.5mm

Website

Flickr

dD

6. The following 2 members thank AdamThirtle for this post:

Thanks for that.

The review supplements the Manual, it contains stuff I could not find in the Manual.

Have to keep an eye out for....We'll be publishing a short article about how to get the best from the E-M5, at some point in the next week.
    Last edited by Dave in Wales; April 30th, 2012 at 05:24 AM.

8. The following 5 members thank Dave in Wales for this post:

Real Name
    Steve

After the whole management scandal, Olympus really needed a success like this.

I didn't need to read DP Review to know that the cam in my hand is great! But thanks!
    2x E-M5+HLD-6 | Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 | Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm f/2.8

Flickr

Just finished a quick read of the review and shall go back later for more careful reading.

But I spend a bit of time in the image comparison tool and must say I'm impressed and perplexed at the same time!

All the discussion below is about IQ, nothing else:

For starters, I only compared RAW and it's the absolute only thing that concerns me. YMMV but, personally, I don't give a damn about out of camera JPEGs, sorry. My photos will be processed anyway, so having nice JPEGs is more of a convenience in a hurry, nothing more.

I pixel peeped extensively, comparing RAW output for the OM-D vs a Canon APS-C camera (they all have comparable performance), the Fuji X100 and, just for kicks, the Canon G1X, which has a comparable sized sensor. I looked up results up to ISO 1600, which is the most useable range, IMO.

I don't know how much lens selection or the algorithms used for conversion play a part in the result. What I found, and you can find out yourselves very easily, is this:

1) The OM-D competes directly, and, in most cases surpases Canon APS-C for contrast, detail and chroma noise. Detail in the shadows, especially, is very good and it handles highlights quite nicely.

2) The G1X lags behind in almost every comparison. Don't know how much this is because of the fixed lens quality. For 95% of photos, perhaps it would be perfect, but for the 5% of difficult cases it does not cut it. This is interesting because of one fact: it seems Canon is planning in using this same sensor in their EVIL cameras after all (source: Canonrumors, CanonWatch, etc).

3) The surprise was from the Fuji sensor. The Fuji was a clear winner in any case IMHO. At first I thought something was wrong, and I was comparing a lower ISO for the X100. It is almost one stop better from everything else in that comparison, for noise and contrast. Again, this will result in a 2% difference at best, for 99% of the photos taken. IMO, it shows one thing: Fuji knows how to make sensors. They were involved in the 4/3 initiative at some point; I can't imagine what will happen if they decide at some point to enter the m4/3 arena...

All in all, the OM-D seems to deliver in it's promise: it's definitely a great camera. From my point of view, I see it being my next m4/3 purchase, although I have to see what Panasonic has to say about that in a few months.

12. The following member thanks With_Eyes_Unclouded for this post:

The best thing about this camera is that all my Panasonic primes can be attached to it
    Picasa Photo Gallery

G6, G3, GF2, Samy7.5/3.5, P14/2.5, PL25/1.4, PL45/2.8, mZD60/2.8, P14-45/3.5-5.6, PZ45-175/4.0-5.6, adapted: Helios 44M 58/2, Sonnar MC 135/3.5
    FL-36R with DIY diffuser, Tripods Velbon REXi L + 494RC2, Monopod Manfrotto 294A4 and UltraPod II

Real Name
    Nic

Quote Originally Posted by With_Eyes_Unclouded View Post

2) The G1X lags behind in almost every comparison. Don't know how much this is because of the fixed lens quality. For 95% of photos, perhaps it would be perfect, but for the 5% of difficult cases it does not cut it. This is interesting because of one fact: it seems Canon is planning in using this same sensor in their EVIL cameras after all (source: Canonrumors, CanonWatch, etc).
    Keep in mind that the DPReview studio comparison samples for the G1X are a waste of space. They try to explain why in the G1X review here, but I'm still yet to see any evidence of it in real world shooting. The G1X actually has one of the sharper zoom lenses I've used. Amongst Canon zoom lenses it is sharper than the EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 and similar to the EF 24-105mm f4L. If Canon goes mirrorless the sensor won't be the problem. Crappy autofocus is the technical challenge that they need to overcome.
    Nic
    E-M5, E-P5, GH1
    Flickr Photostream
    >> Insert quote here <<

Ok. Super nice, can't wait to see one in the flesh.

BUT.

WHY, OH WHY do we europeans get to pay MORE than americans for the same camera ?

EU: €1099.99 (Body only)
    EU: €1299.99 (with M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3)
    US: $999.99 (Body only)
    US: $1099.99 (with M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6)
    US: $1299.99 (with M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3)
    UK: 1149.99 (with M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3)

Last I looked, €1099 was $1450, and for that, we don't even get the basic kit zoom thrown in. €1299 are $1710, for the full weather sealed kit, we're paying over $400 more for the same thing. The difference is even worse for our UK friends.

And don't tell me there are shipping costs, last I looked distance between China and the US were about the same as between China and Europe.

I'm fed up of those split pricing strategies.

End of rant.

Cheers,
    Manage your pictures with Digikam
    Google+ profile : http://m-viet.net

16. The following 2 members thank mauve for this post:

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast