Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1. Default Nine Quick Tips on Shooting in Harsh Environments

One of the primary reasons for my needing an OMD? Weather Sealing. My wife and I are long time attendees and organizers at Burning Man, and every summer out there, we face the threat of heavy duty wind, dust, occasional rain, and all of it unpredictably occurring while we're out three miles from our secure camp, on bikes.

I'm really looking forward to being equipped with that OMD and the 12-50 kit for those specific conditions.

It made me smile today to run across this blog on shooting in tough conditions...

Nine Quick Tips on Shooting in Harsh Environments

Do I get extra points for posting a few of our BM images?

#1. How we get there and get around
    #2. The primitive camp we set up
    #3. We play with fire
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Bodies: E-M5 | EP-3 | EPL-2 | Canon F1 | Glass: Olympus m.Zuiko 45/1.8 | 9-18 | 12-50 | 14-42 IIR | 14-42II | 40-150 | 75-300 | Panasonic 20/1.7 | Lumix 12-35/2.8 | Canon FD 50/3.5 Macro | 50/1.4 | 200/4 | 200/2.8 | 300/4 | Vivitar CFD 70-210

2. The following 6 members thank thinkcooper for this post:

#10- Keep your ammo dry.
    "Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
    My Snaps are Here: Unsharp At Any Speed
    Critiquing my images is welcomed and greatly appreciated.

4. The following member thanks GaryAyala for this post:

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by GaryAyala View Post
    #10- Keep your ammo dry.
    #11. Make friends with the BLM by teaching them how to fire your flame effect device.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bodies: E-M5 | EP-3 | EPL-2 | Canon F1 | Glass: Olympus m.Zuiko 45/1.8 | 9-18 | 12-50 | 14-42 IIR | 14-42II | 40-150 | 75-300 | Panasonic 20/1.7 | Lumix 12-35/2.8 | Canon FD 50/3.5 Macro | 50/1.4 | 200/4 | 200/2.8 | 300/4 | Vivitar CFD 70-210

Real Name
    Marilyn

Quote Originally Posted by 0dBm View Post
    #12 Have your spare ammo and your BUG on your body.

I once did a shoot in the Mojave. I hired three female models. Three large drunken yokels mosseyed by to have a look at the gorgeous women. One had a POS revolver carried Mexican style. The runt of the litter had a rusty Bowie in a hip sheath. The second "Darrell" had an bottle of Jack.

My Les Baer .45 1911 in condition one was in a pancake holster concealed by my unbuttoned shirt. My S&W Model 640 .357 Magnum back-up gun (BUG) was in an ankle holster. Two 8-round Wilson magazines with 230-grain Federal Hydrashok hollowpoints were on the opposite side of my gunbelt and a single speedloader sat close to the top of my right jeans pocket next to my Al Mar 4-inch folding knife. The Beretta 12-guage semi-auto shotgun was in the truck.

As we took a break from the shoot to rehydrate, "Larry, Darrell, and his other brother Darrell" drove up in a rusted p/u.

I offered them water, they refused. They ooggled the PYTs and said some crass words. I pulled my shirt aside to expose the stainless steel "slabside" and stood motionless gunfighter-style waiting for them to make a stupid move. I kept my eyes on "Larry's" revolver as he was the first to receive "Mozambique style" (two center mass, one on the cranium). I accepted that the authorities will arrest me after IF I survived the circumstance and was OK with that.

They laughed and drove off.

The PYTs did a group hug. One had to do another fluid exchange because she...uhm, "lost" some water.

We finished the shoot one hour ahead of schedule. The models refused to ever talk to me again.

True story.
    Yes, I'm licensed to carry

Sorry for the hi-jack. It's Gary's fault for getting me started.

Back OT.
    Sensible tips. Thanks for sharing.
    You scare me
    Panasonic Lumix G3, 14-45mm, 45-175mm, 20mm

#12 Have your spare ammo and your BUG on your body.

I once did a shoot in the Mojave. I hired three female models. Three large drunken yokels mosseyed by to have a look at the gorgeous women. One had a POS revolver carried Mexican style. The runt of the litter had a rusty Bowie in a hip sheath. The second "Darrell" had an bottle of Jack.

My Les Baer .45 1911 in condition one was in a pancake holster concealed by my unbuttoned shirt. My S&W Model 640 .357 Magnum back-up gun (BUG) was in an ankle holster. Two 8-round Wilson magazines with 230-grain Federal Hydrashok hollowpoints were on the opposite side of my gunbelt and a single speedloader sat close to the top of my right jeans pocket next to my Al Mar 4-inch folding knife. The Beretta 12-guage semi-auto shotgun was in the truck.

As we took a break from the shoot to rehydrate, "Larry, Darrell, and his other brother Darrell" drove up in a rusted p/u.

I offered them water, they refused. They ooggled the PYTs and said some crass words. I pulled my shirt aside to expose the stainless steel "slabside" and stood motionless gunfighter-style waiting for them to make a stupid move. I kept my eyes on "Larry's" revolver as he was the first to receive "Mozambique style" (two center mass, one on the cranium). I accepted that the authorities will arrest me after IF I survived the circumstance and was OK with that.

The PYTs did a group hug. One had to do another fluid exchange because she...uhm, "lost" some water.

We finished the shoot one hour ahead of schedule. The models refused to ever talk to me again.

True story.

Back OT.
    BEST CAMERA FORUM STORY EVER!!!

Regarding the original post, I thought it was interesting, but why no mention of rain?!?

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ssgreenley View Post
    BEST CAMERA FORUM STORY EVER!!!

Regarding the original post, I thought it was interesting, but why no mention of rain?!?
    Rain ?? Good question. No idea why it wasn't covered. As for an answer? Maybe one of the purpose built dry bags? Or a weather sealed camera.

At Burningman, I've seen DSLR's wrapped in ziploc bags which were modified to fit the lens by pulling the plastic bag tightly across the front of the lens, then screwing on a filter and using the filter's thread to cut the bag to match the lens diameter. Then the filter is removed, the scored plastic is removed, and the filter is threaded back on carefully, pinching the plastic bag into place. I have no idea if this actually works.

9. The following member thanks thinkcooper for this post:

[FONT="Century Gothic"]#12 Have your spare ammo and your BUG on your body.

True story.
    Awesome story! I'll remember to call you If I ever shoot in "Harsh Environments"
    Olympus E-PM1 + 14-42mm mkII

11. Default

True story.

Back OT.
    Who am I to argue with an armed thread hijacker? Who shares an awesome frikkin story.

So it's my fault ... lol ... Have I got some stories ... like the time in Hue, a Marine squad and I were cut off from what was left of the platoon. We were forced dig-in and spend an extremely long and sleepless night holed-up in a French bakery ... and I'm thinking the entire time ... man, I don't want to die with frosting on my face ... but I won't go there ... I don't have that need ... lol

G
    "Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala

Quote Originally Posted by blaffendespin View Post
    Awesome story! I'll remember to call you If I ever shoot in "Harsh Environments"
    LOL ... yeah, call 'em as your backup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast