Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

1. Default New parents need a camera to keep up with our baby (and pup!). What should we get?

Hi all -

Thanks in advance for your help.

My husband and I are new parents and we'd like a camera that can keep up with our 6 month old. We have a Canon S95 which is great for some things but fairly slow when it comes to the speed of a baby.

I'm considering a DSLR but a 4/3 is just so appealing for many reasons.

Which ones should I be targeting in my search? Is anything new on the horizon (should we wait)?

I'd like something fairly easy to use (or else my husband won't use it) and something that takes great pictures. We probably won't use RAW all that much but I'd like to have the option.

I really enjoy taking pictures and photography used to be a big hobby for me (when I had time for hobbies, before I was a mom) but my husband will really only take a photo when I beg him too (hence I have few of me and the baby :-( ) so ideally I'd like to find a camera which will be as painless as possible for him to use while still preserving the ability to keep it interesting for me.

Any and all suggestions are very welcome.

I'd also love to know what you think I may need (lenses, etc.) to get going so I can figure out what type of investment this will be.

If it matters we take a mix of indoor and outdoor photos.

Thanks again!

Budget?
    Comments and criticism welcome! It's how we get better!

White G3:P20/1.7:P45-200:PL45/2.8:P8FE:P12-35/2.8

Pictures here: http://troyandmollyalloverthemap.shutterfly.com/

http://500px.com/TroyGorrell

If you shoot JPEG, get Olympus.

In my opinion getting shots of kids requires quick AF. So stick to the quickest focusing bodies:
    E-PM1, E-PL3, E-P3, E-M5
    (or Panasonic GH2, GF2, GF3, G3, GX1)

Then get AF lenses that focus quick:
    Panasonic 14-42mm, 14-45mm, 14mm, 25mm
    Olympus 12mm, 14-42 II (including R), 45mm, (also, probably 12-50mm)

Any combination of the above will be great.

-edited to add:
    Consider the new Sigma 19mm and 30mm lenses, too. Each are relatively cheap at $199. Each supposedly focuses very quickly.
    Last edited by Aegon; April 3rd, 2012 at 11:37 PM.

4. Default

I would say the G3 with a zoom lens, a prime lens and a flash.

Why the G3? It has the latest and greatest sensor technology along with a few others like the GH2, GX1 and forthcoming E-M5. All of those cost a more though. It has a swivel LCD screen and does very nice video, touch screen and built-in flash. And it's very small.

The G3 also has a shoe for external flash, it's the best thing you can buy for a baby or kids bar none. The kit zoom lens is fine!

Finally, as a last priority a fast prime lens like the 20mm or 45mm for non-flash poor light situations.

That's my take.

Real Name
    Promit Roy

I'm going to vote for the Olympus PM1 as a camera that comes nearly perfect out of the box while also being extremely compact, and really how much more stuff do you need in your hands with a child and a puppy already? Very fast AF, simple to use, great JPEG quality, and a very nice kit zoom included. (I'm not too fond of the lens Panasonic is packaging with the G3.)

If we're talking about lens choices on top of that...it depends. The Leica 25mm provides solid AF performance and incredible low light abilities, at a very substantial price. The Olympus 45mm is one of the best lenses you can have, but it's a telephoto and can be especially awkward indoors. The 20mm turns out wonderful images in all lighting, but it's slow to focus. The Panasonic 14mm is very nice and fast but a bit wide and not all that special aperture-wise.
    Last edited by Promit; April 4th, 2012 at 12:18 AM.

Real Name
    Debi

+1 for hotshoe flash unless you live in a house with huge windows and a lot of light. Otherwise you'll just get blurry photos. Once the baby really starts moving you'll be hard pressed to keep up. Get a flash and learn how to bounce the light. It'll improve things immeasurably.

The best shot you take is with the camera that you have with you.

Real Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Promit View Post
    I'm going to vote for the Olympus PM1 as a camera that comes nearly perfect out of the box while also being extremely compact..
    I second the choice of the E-PM1.

For $500 with the 14-42mm (28-84mm in 35mm terms) zoom lens, it's enough to get you started right out of the box. Its capable of taking great, sharp photos as well as HD video, yet it's still so small and light that you will be much more likely to have it with you (as compared to a larger DSLR). Not to mention it's cute (and comes in a number of colors, though, I'd probably stay away from purple or pink if you want your husband to use it). In addition to the ability to use other lenses, the sensor is much larger than that on the S95.

As far as Panasonic v. Olympus, the biggest difference (to me) is that the Oly's have in-camera image stabilization, while the Panny's have stabilization in their lenses; this is reason enough to choose Oly since their OIS will work with ANY lens you attach, including just about any vintage lens you can find.

This size comparison really shows you how the E-PM1 is much closer in size to the S95 than to even a "small" DSLR (the Canon T3i).

My first major upgrade would be to add the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 lens (around $350) which IMHO is a perfect lens for photographing babies, because the focal length allows you to stay close to the subject. The fast lens allows you to shoot in low-light situations. If your budget allows the camera kit plus the 20mm lens ($850 total) then that would be a perfect "starter" kit.

Some have recommended off-camera flash, but I think that's something I'd hold off on until I got comfortable with the camera and understand the limitations of the built-in flash. In fact, I'd recommend that you try something like Gary Fong's Puffer diffuser before you add the complexity of off-camera flash. I agree that you can improve your results with off-camera flash, but if you've got a baby and a puppy you've got your hands full enough already.

As far as waiting, I'm really not aware of any "breakthroughs" on the horizon. Sensors will continue to improve, but that's always going to be the case. Meanwhile your baby is not going to be a baby forever, so do yourself a favor and start capturing those memories.

**EDIT: Sorry, I was under the impression that the E-PM1 had an on-camera flash, which is not the case. In light of this, I would instead suggest you look at the E-PL3 (or even the E-PL2 or E-PL1) which are only slightly larger but include a built-in flash.
    Last edited by DeeJayK; April 4th, 2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: fix recommendation
    "The enemy of art is the absence of limitations." ~ Orson Welles
    Sarcasm is my default tone, so please consider that before taking offense to the preceding message. Criticism (no matter how harsh) is welcomed of ANY and ALL images I post.

8. The following member thanks DeeJayK for this post:

Olympus is better because you can do off camera flash on the cheap. A fast aperture lens indoors isn't as useful unless the kids are posing.

Real Name
    Keith

If cost is a factor (and when isn't it) and you can stomach a refurbished camera, then I'd check out the E-PM1 from Cameta for $330.
    "The enemy of art is the absence of limitations." ~ Orson Welles
    Sarcasm is my default tone, so please consider that before taking offense to the preceding message. Criticism (no matter how harsh) is welcomed of ANY and ALL images I post.

Real Name
    Bob

Hi foggymommy... and Welcome to the group!.

As I read your original post three Olympus models kept shoving everything else aside:

Olympus E-PM1
    Olympus E-P3
    Olympus E-PL3

All have lightning-fast autofocus, are amazingly simple to use and produce fantastic JPGs right out of the box. Here's how they stack up for your situation...

Best Bang for the buck is the E-PM1. It's the smallest and lightest of the three models, and is the most similar to a point-n-shoot. But an adventurous or knowledgeable user can activate a menu that will provide more advanced choices for you. And it's "iAuto" ("intelligent Auto") mode makes great pictures in almost every situation in which I've used it. Just set the camera to iAuto, point at your subject and press the button.

-- Note that iAuto is available on all three of these Olympus models, so any of them can be used easily by someone who doesn't "want to fool with a bunch of settings just to take a picture." --

The E-P3 (most advanced model of the three) can be used as simply as the E-PM1 but if you choose to go "advanced," it has more direct-control buttons (the E-PM1 relies mostly on menu controls). E-P3 also has one of the best touch-sensitive LCD screens in the industry. You can focus anywhere in the frame and shoot instantly just by touching your finger to the place you want focused. It's fantastic for capturing kids and pets "in the act."

The only thing the E-P3 doesn't have is an articulating screen. These are nice when you're shooting babies (and puppies) frolicking on the floor because you can place the camera at their level, tilt the screen up and compose/shoot your image without crawling around on the floor yourself.

The E-PL3 has the articulating screen. But it does not have the touch-screen feature of the E-P3. It also costs less than the E-P3. Other than missing a touch-screen though, the E-PL3 is every bit as functional as the E-P3. Just because this is the shortest paragraph of these descriptions doesn't mean E-PL3 is any less camera than either of the others.

All three cameras use the same sensor and the same internal processing engine, so your actual JPGs will be virtually identical no matter which of the three cameras you choose.

As for whether you need off-camera flash or not, most of the time any of these three cameras will deliver pleasing images without flash as long as they're shot in a room with decent light. You might be shooting at ISO 1600 for some of those images, but ISO 1600 on these cameras still produces good pics. I've shot as high as ISO 2500 on my E-PM1 with acceptable results.

But if you do decide to use flash, any camera will benefit from off-camera flash. Nice thing about these Olympus models is you can use the on-camera flash to trigger and control light output of the Olympus flash units (FL-36R, FL-50R).

Whatever you decide to do, though, have fun with your new camera! And come back and show us some baby and puppy pics when you get it.
    Last edited by BarefootPilgrim; April 4th, 2012 at 01:11 PM.
    Peace,

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast