Ads by Google

Amazon

B&H Photo

Adorama

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

1. Default "the horrendous Olympus E-PL3"?

"I specifically did not touch any of the mirrorless camera manuals. I wanted to see which camera is the easiest to use and whether I need to invest time in learning the cameras before I use them. So far, the Nikon V1/J1 cameras are the easiest ones to use and operate, followed by the Sony NEX-5n and lastly by the horrendous Olympus E-PL3.

Boy, I have come to hate that Olympus micro four thirds camera. It does take good pictures, but it has a crappy layout, really bad (and I mean really really really bad) menu system that is very hard to understand and operate. Its menu system feels like it was written by the open-source community (no offense) and as if all they cared about was putting tons of useless or hard to understand crap to make everything look overly complex and confusing.
    "
    Quote from: Nikon 1 V1 Mini-Review

Obviously this is just one guys opinion (but so is any review) - but is it really that bad? I must admit the E-PL1 can be frustrating at times as it's not always obvious what all the menu symbols mean and when you have to go hunting through the menus to try and change something (and don't have the manual with you) you can end up giving up even though the answer is probably obvious. The Nex 5 also involves a lot of menu hunting/button pushing for more commonly used functions but I don't find it as bad as some people say (or maybe I am just used to it).

The E-PL3 is (currently) my preferred upgrade to my E-PL1 but is it's UI really worse than the Nex and E-PL1?

(I am not interested in buying the Nikon though - just came across the review while looking for something else).

Default What

I had a NEX camera, its like playing with my kids ps3. The Oly menu
    system is much better. I now have an EPL3.

Quote Originally Posted by applemint View Post
    "I specifically did not touch any of the mirrorless camera manuals. I wanted to see which camera is the easiest to use and whether I need to invest time in learning the cameras before I use them. So far, the Nikon V1/J1 cameras are the easiest ones to use and operate, followed by the Sony NEX-5n and lastly by the horrendous Olympus E-PL3.

Boy, I have come to hate that Olympus micro four thirds camera. It does take good pictures, but it has a crappy layout, really bad (and I mean really really really bad) menu system that is very hard to understand and operate. Its menu system feels like it was written by the open-source community (no offense) and as if all they cared about was putting tons of useless or hard to understand crap to make everything look overly complex and confusing.
    "
    Quote from: Nikon 1 V1 Mini-Review

Obviously this is just one guys opinion (but so is any review) - but is it really that bad? I must admit the E-PL1 can be frustrating at times as it's not always obvious what all the menu symbols mean and when you have to go hunting through the menus to try and change something (and don't have the manual with you) you can end up giving up even though the answer is probably obvious. The Nex 5 also involves a lot of menu hunting/button pushing for more commonly used functions but I don't find it as bad as some people say (or maybe I am just used to it).
    It sounds like his objection is primarily the menu system. If your first experience with Olympus is the E-PL3, you are going to be pretty confused.

Since Olympus in their infinite wisdom did not choose to enable the Super Control Panel by default, his complain about settings is also understandable.

But I think that with a little customization, the E-PL3 is actually one of the better handling mirrorless cameras out there and certainly superior to the E-PL1.

DH

Olympus' menu is indeed very convoluted. It's not for beginners. But it's VERY powerful. TONS of options for you to customize. I'm glad that Olympus has made so many things available for me to change/modify.

If that dude wanted simple, he should stick to a point and shoot.
    - Hiep
    Olympus E-P3
    my smugmug

5. The following member thanks starlabs for this post:

Money quote from that review: " I specifically did not touch any of the mirrorless camera manuals."

Quote Originally Posted by starlabs View Post
    Olympus' menu is indeed very convoluted. It's not for beginners. But it's VERY powerful. TONS of options for you to customize. I'm glad that Olympus has made so many things available for me to change/modify.
    I think the problem is more that the defaults are bad, like disabling the SCP and setting the AWB bias to 'warm'. It's good to have options, it's not nice to have to sort through tons of them to do something simple and ordinary.

DH

Real Name
    Gordon

I personally think the NEX is worse. But the Olys are pretty bad.

Gordon
    Central Coast Wedding Photographer

An Introduction To Colour Management for Photographers

Flash is completely mirrorless.

The opinions and information above is not personal opinion. It is fact. Simply because I know I'm always right....

I have a 2003 model E-1, a 2005 model E-500 and a 2010 model E-PL1, I find Olympus menus are remarkably similar across all those years. So if you have already mastered the E-PL1, then it won't take long to learn the E-PL3.

My impression is that Olympus cameras give the owner more potential functionality via a wider variety of possible manually selectable camera settings than other compact camera system brands. So the Menu system is unavoidably more complicated.

I think almost all of these modern cameras, mirrorless or otherwise, reward a read, and re-read, and re-re-read of the manual. All of these cameras have complex, non-intuitive menu and control systems. Some menu and control layouts will seem more natural to some people, based largely on what they're used to. A system that's different than anything a person has used before is going to seem more complicated than one that's similar to something used before.

He's right about the manual though. Oly (and Panasonic) manuals truly suck.

Sorry folks ..I have to agree here. This was one of the reasons I returned EPL3. I didn't like the Menu, My EPL2 handles much better .Now I disagree that NEX UI is friendly .Its equally horrible and frustrating to change Menu settings on it .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder
    OMD Silver with battery Grip
    Olympus 45mm 1.8
    Olympus 60 mm 2.8
    Fuji X100 Black LE

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast