Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Canon FD 50mm f1.4 vs. Minolta Rokkor MD 50mm f1.7

What do you think of these 2 lenses?
    I already have the minolta. And planning to grab the canon. Then sell the minolta.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
    Olympus PEN E-PL2
    with M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 | Panasonic Lumix 14mm f2.5 Asph. | Panasonic Lumix G.Vario 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 | Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm f1.7 | Minolta MC W.Rokkor HH 35mm f1.8 | Auto Vivitar 300mm f5.5 | Petri 2x Teleconverter

I'm not sure why you'd switch to the Canon when Minolta offers 2 distinct and excellent 1.4 lenses.

The 58mm 1.4 is quite sharp with BEAUTIFUL bokeh.

The 50mm 1.4 Rokkor is incredibly sharp (as sharp as any other 50mm 1.4 you can find).

The Canon is a fine lens in its own right, but I don't know of any advantage over the lenses I mentioned.

I'm guessing you already have the Minolta adapter....

3. The following member thanks lattiboy for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by lattiboy View Post
    I'm not sure why you'd switch to the Canon when Minolta offers 2 distinct and excellent 1.4 lenses.

The 50mm 1.4 Rokkor is incredibly sharp (as sharp as any other 50mm 1.4 you can find).

The Canon is a fine lens in its own right, but I don't know of any advantage over the lenses I mentioned.

+1. That's exactly what I was going to say. Plus, Minolta lenses are usually a bit cheaper than Canon lenses.

5. The following member thanks shan564 for this post:

[quote=shan564;191943]
    Quote Originally Posted by shan564 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by lattiboy View Post

+1. That's exactly what I was going to say. Plus, Minolta lenses are usually a bit cheaper than Canon lenses.
    I was thinking the same things as i read my way down this thread.
    I absolutely love my Rokkor 58mm PG lens. When I shoot film its favorite to use, especially for portraits. I use it less for portraits now as i tend to shoot portraiture on the shorter focal length. I use my 35mm 1.8 Rokkor for portraiture now, unless its I really need that extra stop or want that extra reach. The 58 PG is a nice fast moderate telephoto now on my G1 just too heavy for me to keep on my camera all the time, like it was on my Minolta x700 99% of the time. But my MC 50mm 1.4 is much lighter and as soon as i can find where i put it, it will go in the bag.

At the prices for these lenses, why not get them all?

8. The following member thanks zacster for this post:

Canon 50mm f1.4 is the only available f1.4 in an online buy and sell here in manila.
    I am also looking for the 1.4 of minolta but it's just too hard to find. Or other guys get their hands on the lens first before I find the item for sale.
    I dont have paypal so i don't do ebay international.

Olympus PEN E-PL2
    with M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 | Panasonic Lumix 14mm f2.5 Asph. | Panasonic Lumix G.Vario 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 | Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm f1.7 | Minolta MC W.Rokkor HH 35mm f1.8 | Auto Vivitar 300mm f5.5 | Petri 2x Teleconverter

Ah, I see. Have you tried ordering from one of the reputable online photography shops? B&H ships overseas and they have a large stock of old lenses.

But if you're debating between the Minolta MD Rokkor f1.7 and the Canon FD f1.4, I think the only real difference will be the max aperture. If it's worth the difference in cost to you, then it'll definitely get you some good bokeh and low-light performance.

What about minolta 50mm f1.4 vs canon 50mm f1.4?

Olympus PEN E-PL2

I've never compared the two side-by-side, but I think that the general consensus is that the quality is similar (unless you're looking at one of Canon's super-expensive lenses).

Looks like the Canon is sharper in the corners wide open?
    Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm F1,4 (see last post in thread)

But otherwise not much difference, both great legacy lenses and you should be happy with either one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast