Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default GF2 time lapse - what should I do?

My first camera and I'm shooting a documentary this weekend. (Yes, I know I have the WORST possible camera for video.... Can't change that now. Run what ya brung.)

Planning to shoot some b-roll, including a time lapse of the sunrise and sunset. Which leaves me with two unappealing options, hoping for some advice or suggestions.

Option 1: Shoot long video clips and then speed them up. Pros: Simplest thing to do Cons: ISO will jump around on me causing flicker, can't use long shutter for a smoother video, final product just won't look as good

Option 2: Since the GF2 has no remote or interval capabilities, sit there for 30-60 minutes and manually press the shutter. Pros: Can use longer exposures, better quality images, can manually lock down exposure settings Cons: I may go insane pressing the button a gazillion times

Thoughts? What would you do?

I'm leaning towards just shooting a long video and speeding it up, just because I am a lazy man.
    tumblr | flickr |@adelorenzo | Panasonic GF2 { Super Takumar 50mm 1.4 + 28mm 3.5; Panasonic 14mm 2.5; }

Hey, I don't think the GF2 is the worst possible camera for video!

If you can get a few ND filters, you can fix the video at 1/50th to smooth things out.

I wish there was an electronic shutter release on this camera :(

Cheers

Josh

Hi -

I have a GF2 as well. There is a simple and easy way to do limited time-lapse: set the camera to take pictures as long as the shutter is released, then set up either the 2s or 10s timer, then take a small coin and a heavy rubber band (after setting the camera on a tripod, focusing and setting manual exposure). You then put the small coin on top of the shutter release, put the rubber band around the camera body so that the coin is kept firmly on the shutter release.

The GF2 will then take pictures every 2s or 10s for as long as the battery lasts or your card will hold. I do realize it's not ideal, but given the lack otherwise of a port for remote control of the camera, it works fairly well. The key is manual exposure so that you don't have your exposure jumping around and generally making a mess of things.

And the GF2 is a great little camera for videos! I use it a lot with the 14 f2.5 lens, but have also used the Oly 12-60 via adapter to shoot video with great DOF effects. The GF2 does very nicely even in relatively dark areas, and while there can be some artifacts if you don't use a real class 10 SD card, once you've got a decent card to keep up with the video output, it's fairly amazing what you can do with such an incredibly small package...

:-)

JohnF

PS: you don't really need the coin, the rubber band will do as well, but I prefer the coin because it tends to keep the rubber stretched slightly better than without...

4. The following member thanks JohnF for this post:

@JohnF

Thanks for the tip! This had actually occurred to me last night, but I tried holding down the shutter with the timer and it only took one picture. Is there a setting you changed to have it take continuous pictures?

A ~10s interval would be perfect for the shot I need.
    tumblr | flickr |@adelorenzo | Panasonic GF2 { Super Takumar 50mm 1.4 + 28mm 3.5; Panasonic 14mm 2.5; }

I guess I was a bit harsh with calling the GF2 the worst camera for video. I'm just frustrated by the lack of a few key features like being able to lock down all exposure settings (especially ISO, shutter), external mic, remote trigger (or built-in intervalometer)...

I love the photos I get with my GF2, and feel like I can do whatever I want (within my limited skill) but have struggled to get good results from video. Still a work in progress though. This camera has inspired me to get into video, I had no interest in video when I bought it so I shouldn't complain too much.

Long term I want to get a GH2 and hack it but until that time I'll work with what I've got.

So in the end I used the 10s timer and just stood there for 1.5 hours pressing the shutter button every time. The result was very good, unfortunately the landscape didn't cooperate.

I'm thinking about trying it again but it's hard to stay warm enough when you can't leave the camera for more than a few seconds.

@JohnF How do you get the camera to keep taking timer pics with the shutter held down?

so... there is no way to do time lapse on gf2?

Quote Originally Posted by n-forty View Post
    so... there is no way to do time lapse on gf2?
    not sure for the GF2, I have the G3 and have just ordered this

Hahnel Giga T Pro II Wireless Remote Control with Timer: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Take a look, might meet your requirements.

Should be delivered to me in the morning, I'll update this post in a few days once I have had time to play with it.

Sorry, just noted that the gf2 doesn't have the option to use a remote.
    Last edited by Adstars; February 13th, 2012 at 08:04 AM.

No need to be sorry.
    You just gave me more reason to upgrade!
    n40

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Hi -

I have a GF2 as well. There is a simple and easy way to do limited time-lapse: set the camera to take pictures as long as the shutter is released...
    I tried to follow your advice but was unable to find out how to "set the camera to take pictures as long as the shutter is released". Went trough all menus several times, could not find anything... Could you outline the exact procedure, please?

Thanks a lot,
    Igor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast