Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Lens recommendation for family holiday portraits/photos

Hello,

New to the forum! Had the opportunity of handling the EPL3 at a photo expo here in Dallas-Fort Worth this weekend, and now I've decided to sell my Nikon dslr to finally go to m 4/3! In process of ordering the EPL3 today, need recommendations on a good lens for family portraits.

Really want the Panasonic 20mm f1.7, but also could be interested in the Panasonic 25mm as well. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated, as I want to place an order this evening or tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Jet

2. The following member thanks jettilton for this post:

Only one: Oly 45 1.8

The Panasonic 20mm F1.7 is a great lens for just about everything. I use that lens for a good 80% of my work.
    The Olympus 45mm F1.8 is the best portrait lens imo. A little soft wide open, but super creamy bokeh (the blurry bits in the background). It's really silent and quick to focus as well. It's my favorite lens for portraits, and I think most here on this forum will agree that it is a "must have" for portraits. It's definitely priced right for me, as I couldn't get the Olympus 12mm F2 (quite out of my price range).

Currently for my experience having just the 20mm and the 45mm are enough for any situation (mostly because the 20mm is soooo versatile). If money was no object i'd also pick up the olympus 12mm f2. But for your purposes of portraiture i think the 20 and the 45 should suffice your needs.

5. The following member thanks SNTP for this post:

The m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 is the best for a portrait lens.
    Olympus E-P3 PEN | Olympus E-PM2 PEN Mini | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

What do you mean by "family portraits" -- do you mean formal, seated portraits for something like Christmas cards? Then I'd support the 45/1.8. If you mean shooting Christmas day during opening presents or at dinner, I'd vote for the 25/1.4.

You wouldn't go wrong with the 20/1.7, but the 25/1.4 is better, though it's bigger and costs more, so there's a trade-off.

I intend to shoot all of Christmas on the 25 this year.
    EP3, P20, 40-150
    Shopping for 14-42 and hoping for a refurb 12-40/2.8

8. The following member thanks WT21 for this post:

Default Thanks for the quick replies...

I plan on getting the 45mm, but it might be too narrow for 3 kids sitting next to each other, outdoor, since the 45mm becomes an equivalent of 90mm on m4/3? That's why I was wondering about the Panny 20mm or 25mm...

I know that the 45mm is good for head/shoulders portraiture of one person, though.

Jet

10. The following member thanks jettilton for this post:

You are spot on. I would recommend the 20 or 25. Another option is the 14 + 45. 14 is a good width for 3 people and group shots.
    EP3, P20, 40-150
    Shopping for 14-42 and hoping for a refurb 12-40/2.8

12. The following member thanks WT21 for this post:

The 45 / 1.8, as others have mentioned, is the ideal portrait lens. Great for head-and-shoulder shots in a small room, torso and head shots in a medium sized room, or full-length shots in a larger room.

If you're trying to shoot large groups, full body shots of groups, or you are shooting in confined spaces, the 45 may provide too narrow an angle of view, and you may prefer the 25 or 20mm lenses.

Between those, the 25 apparently has faster AF, but the 20 is much smaller, so take your pick of AF speed vs. carrying size (and price)! I prefer the smaller size (and slightly wider viewing angle) of the 20. The E-PL3 with tilt screen and 20mm pancake lens is a killer stealth portrait combo!

14. The following member thanks robertro for this post:

When you said "family portraits" I was thinking group shots...although I don't have the 45/1.8 I use legacy lenses in the 40-50mm range and they would not be my first choice for groups. The 20/1.7 is what I bring to social events. You can even put the camera in fully-automatic mode and hand it off to people as a point-and-shoot.

E-P5 | 9-18 | O17 | PL25 | O60 | 40-150

Quote Originally Posted by jettilton View Post
    I plan on getting the 45mm, but it might be too narrow for 3 kids sitting next to each other, outdoor, since the 45mm becomes an equivalent of 90mm on m4/3? That's why I was wondering about the Panny 20mm or 25mm...

I know that the 45mm is good for head/shoulders portraiture of one person, though.

Jet
    You say outdoors... outdoors you have room to move, and you should be able to use any long lens you want. The wider angle requirement is for indoors where back-up space is limited. Otherwise, a longer focal length will give you a more flattering compressed perspective on a person, with no exaggerated features.

How small are your kids? A few small kids will fill the frame in landscape orientation the same way an adult will fill the frame in portrait orientation, but that all depends on how young you're talking about.
    Olympus E-P3 PEN | Olympus E-PM2 PEN Mini | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast