Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default WA:Toughest Choice in m4/3

So I got an unexpected promotion this week; now to blow a bit of money on lenses! I'm trying to get wider than 14mm, but it's a very, very hard choice. Here's what we've got:

Panasonic 7-14: Pros: Image quality, constant aperture. Cons: Relatively big, no filters, not overly bright.

Olympus 9-18: Pros: Size, more useful length for a walkaround lens, cost. Cons: Not bright enough for dark rooms, soft corners.

Olympus 12: Pros: Brightness, image quality, distance scale, size. Cons: Not that much wider than much cheaper 14mm's.

So, which did you choose and why?

I've got the 9-18, chosen primarily because of cost, but the only other choice at the time was the uber expensive 7-14, which was still almost double the price in the UK, and still is.

You need to decide what you want, wide or u l t r a - w i d e, if you want ultra wide aperture isn't such an issue as you'll need it higher to get everything in focus.
    The 12 is nice, but for an extra 2mm and a bigger aperture is it worth the cost when for a bit more cash you can have the 7-14.

The 9-18 is probably still the best compromise lens in its class with regards to ability and cost, in my opinion.

3. Default

I chose the Panasonic 7-14, this is roughly why...

- I generally shoot in the 20-50mm range, and I generally shoot with fast lenses (see signature), so the only reason I wanted an ultra-wide was for those fairly specific moments when I want an ultra-wide. I have no interest in 'walkabout' wide-angles...

- The m.ZD 9-18 tends to review as 'quite capable'. The 7-14 reviews as 'bloody excellent'.

- I had the money available and know from experience that if I don't get the best to begin with I will eventually get it anyway

I wouldn't worry too much about the slow max aperture, with decent technique camera shake isn't very noticeable on ultra-wides This shot was 10 seconds hand-held at 7mm...

Really, the only grumble I have with the 7-14 is the whole filter thing. CPL's are useless on ultra-wides anyway, but neutral density filters would be steller for long-exposure landscapes, especially given the GH2's minimum 160iso and Micro Four Thirds issues with diffraction over about f11...
    At first blush I am tempted to conclude that a satisfactory hobby must be in large degree useless, inefficient, laborious, or irrelevant. - Aldo Leopold

EM5 + Lumix, m.Zuiko and Voigtländer glass | Ricoh GR | Pentax MX + SMC M50/f1.4
    People + Other Strange Creatures - walking | photography | travel
    Above Me Only Sky - An exploration of place, 365 days with the Ricoh GR

4. The following member thanks nickthetasmaniac for this post:

RnR

I went for the 7-14. After lugging the office Nikon and 12-24 around, this is better and wider. Have used it for a lot of architectural and interior work and the hours saved straightening and joining images means it's paid for itself.

It's expensive but the quality is certainly there.

It's pretty good at the 14 end as well and has saved me even being tempted by the 14mm panny.

I have to admit that I like the look of the 12mm f2. Just for the better DOF control.

6. The following 3 members thank 43hk for this post:

Real Name
    Gordon

I have the 7-14. It's a brilliant lens. But I miss the 9-18 I sold and I will eventually get another. It's a more useful lens in most circumstances and I honestly didnt notice any difference in image quality.

Gordon
    Central Coast Wedding Photographer

An Introduction To Colour Management for Photographers

Flash is completely mirrorless.

The opinions and information above is not personal opinion. It is fact. Simply because I know I'm always right....

Do we think the Samyang 7.5mm is a credible competitor in this category? I honestly never really considered a fisheye before, but it is a fairly cheap way to 'go wide' on m43, and it has reviewed particularly well.

Quote Originally Posted by Liamness
    Do we think the Samyang 7.5mm is a credible competitor in this category? I honestly never really considered a fisheye before, but it is a fairly cheap way to 'go wide' on m43, and it has reviewed particularly well.
    I think a fisheye is its own thing, personally. I'm also considering it, but I think I would still need a rectilinear wide angle as well...

10. The following member thanks ssgreenley for this post:

Real Name
    Dara

Quote Originally Posted by ssgreenley View Post
    So I got an unexpected promotion this week; now to blow a bit of money on lenses! I'm trying to get wider than 14mm, but it's a very, very hard choice. Here's what we've got:

Panasonic 7-14: Pros: Image quality, constant aperture. Cons: Relatively big, no filters, not overly bright.

Olympus 9-18: Pros: Size, more useful length for a walkaround lens, cost. Cons: Not bright enough for dark rooms, soft corners.

Olympus 12: Pros: Brightness, image quality, distance scale, size. Cons: Not that much wider than much cheaper 14mm's.

So, which did you choose and why?
    Panny 7-14. Widest and the best quality of the 3. But unless you really like the UWA look, the 9-18 is probably better value. The 12/2 is a very specialized lens. Unless size and wide-aperture is very very important, the other 2 are better options.

DH

Wow, so I've been leaning toward the 12, but there's no love for it here! Gordon, have you never found the 9-18 to be soft at the corners? I'm worried that if I had I would never get the quality I'm looking for with landscapes...

Quote Originally Posted by Liamness View Post
    I suppose you could de-fish it..but for 200-300$ more I'd way prefer the ease of use of the 9-18. I have the 9-18mm lens..very good IQ, tiny, takes filters, versatile focal length and half the price of the competition. What's not to like?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast