Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Real Name
    Amin

Default Brief Review: Gariz Soft Release Buttons

Soft release buttons aka "softies" are buttons which create a larger, more protuberant shutter release button on your camera. On Leica rangefinder cameras, there is a threaded hole in the shutter release button for the cable release, and you screw the soft release button into that cable release thread.

The purpose of the soft release button is to make it smoother and more comfortable to trigger the shutter release and thereby improve the sharpness of images taken at slow shutter speeds. The buttons come in a variety of designs with either concave or convex designs.

Since our Micro 4/3 camera shutter release buttons lack a cable release thread, there is no way to use traditional soft release buttons made for Leica cameras. A Korean company called Gariz makes stick-on soft release buttons which serve the same purpose, and after learning about these from one of our members, I decided to give them a try.

Gariz buttons come in either convex or concave designs. The convex buttons come in sets of red/black, and the concave in silver/gold. I chose the convex design since it allows me to comfortably hook my finger around the button. Also, I like the red .

Here's what they look like in the packaging (photo from http://global.rakuten.com):

My E-P3 with the red Gariz soft release button (also Aki-Asahi skin and Gariz leather half case):

Next to the E-PM1:

The soft release changes the way I shoot these cameras, using the inside of my first knuckle instead of the finger tip:

The soft release improves comfort and seems to improve my ability to hold the camera steady at slow shutter speeds. $12 well spent!

I bought my soft release buttons from Pricejin on Ebay. The free economy shipping took about 3 weeks.

[Thanks joseetan]

2. The following 12 members thank Amin Sabet for this post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks Amin!

Question - is it still very easy to half press to lock focus and recompose, before triggering the shutter?
    EP3, GX7, P20, O40-150, P100-300
    NEX6 w/MF lenses and RX100

Real Name
    Amin

Quote Originally Posted by WT21 View Post
    Thanks Amin!

Question - is it still very easy to half press to lock focus and recompose, before triggering the shutter?
    Yes, still easy to do that with the soft release installed. I've misfired a few times, but I think that's just a matter of getting used to the new release. It is a bit more sensitive.
    Amin
    Mu-43.com Webmaster (Site FAQ | Help Forum | My Disclosures | My Flickriver | My G+ Profile)

You can help pay our server bills when you buy anything online: http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=55354

5. The following member thanks Amin Sabet for this post:

Oh, one other question I meant to ask. Does it seem you could remove it easily enough? That is, it wouldn't damage the camera on removal, would it?
    EP3, GX7, P20, O40-150, P100-300
    NEX6 w/MF lenses and RX100

Real Name
    Amin

I don't have an answer for that one. I'm more concerned that it might get removed too easily, for example in the process of putting it into my coat pocket. So far it seems to be a sturdy attachment.
    Amin
    Mu-43.com Webmaster (Site FAQ | Help Forum | My Disclosures | My Flickriver | My G+ Profile)

You can help pay our server bills when you buy anything online: http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=55354

8. The following member thanks Amin Sabet for this post:

Real Name
    Promit Roy

Interesting. Have you tried it on a Panny body? I was surprised to find that the G2's shutter feels a lot different (for the worse) compared to my Olys.

Real Name
    Joe

I've had mine on my gf1 for about 3 months and still feels like it's not about to come off any time soon.

For something so simple I feel it is an improvement on the shutter button. For me....it's not a gimmick, I feel it works.
    Joe

...my stuff is on
    flickr

11. The following 4 members thank Livnius for this post:

Real Name
    Muttley

I use them on my M9/7 and X100. I love them!!
    OMD EM5, EM1
    12/2 14/2.5 20/1.7 25/1.4 75/1.8 14-150 45-150
    My FlickR!

13. The following member thanks Armanius for this post:

The button looks HUGE on the E-PM1! Lol

I fear I may have to buy these buttons. I'm a sucker for red too.
    - Hiep
    Olympus E-P3
    my smugmug

Thanks for the review Amin! I've seen these on some dslrs here but never on a m43 body. Think it's time to pimp my gf1. Thankfully there's a local distributor here in Manila so its just an overnight shipment away.

my HTC Desire sent this

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast