Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default The Magic 14mm.....

I am looking for a comparison of results, i.e. image quality and gear handling of shooting the Panny 7-14mm, 14mm, 14-42mm and the 14-140mm at a focal length of 14mm. How do the results compare when these different lenses are shot at 14mm. Which lens produces the best overall results and what are the drawbacks of the other Panasonic lenses. Oh yes, i do realize that Panasonic makes other lenses that can be shot at 14mm and also that my list includes both 4/3rds and micro 4/3rds lenses.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and knowledge.

Best regards,
    Tom

I have the 14, have had the 14-140, and have shot with the 14-45 (not the 14-42). I haven't used the 7-14, but own and use the Olympus kit lens (well, I don't actually use this much), the 9-18, and the 14-150, so I've had 14mm pretty well covered. I've seen various people contend that the 14-42 is visually as sharp as the 14mm prime - I don't know that I've heard anyone claim quite the same for the longer or wider zooms. I'm not a big enough pixel peeper to really be able to tell you, but they're all decent optically and the 14mm is at least as good as any. In terms of handling, focus speed, and low light, the 14mm pancake is a fairly easy call. F2.5 is a good bit faster than any of the zooms, the lens is VERY fast and VERY quiet to AF, and it takes up only slightly more room than a body cap would.

If I was looking for a zoom, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a zoom - they don't suck by a long shot. But if you want to spend the bulk of your time in 14mm and if you like shooting with primes, go for the prime.

Not sure if this is the kind of input you're looking for, but its all I've got.

-Ray
    We judge photographers by the photographs we see. We judge cameras by the photographs we miss - Haim Zamir

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

3. The following member thanks Ray Sachs for this post:

Real Name
    Don

Don

Thanks all. What about the 7-14mm 4/3rds zoom at 14mm and the 14-140mm at 13mm compared with the 14mm pancacke?

Best regards,
    Tom

dpreview can compare the 7-14 m4/3 to the 14-140

dpreview.com - Lens Review - Fullscreen

The 14-140 is surprisingly sharp at 14mm.

Real Name
    Don

The 14-140 is a stellar lens. It's the one zoom lens I would definitely want to have along with a trio of primes (12, 25, 45). The 14-45 is fantastic and so compact, but the 14-140 is much more versatile with that nice long reach! Much bigger and heavier, though. The OIS system in the 14-140 is stunningly effective. I have repeatedly shot hand held, at 1/15th sec. the 14-140 at 140mm (280mm equivalent) with very crisp images resulting from the OIS. It works amazingly well.
    Don

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Swaman View Post
    Ithe Panny 7-14mm,
    Best regards,
    Tom
    If you can afford it,
    I'd choose this over the Olympus 9-18.....Just my personal preference...

Quote Originally Posted by DHART
    The 14-140 is a stellar lens. It's the one zoom lens I would definitely want to have along with a trio of primes (12, 25, 45). The 14-45 is fantastic and so compact, but the 14-140 is much more versatile with that nice long reach! Much bigger and heavier, though. The OIS system in the 14-140 is stunningly effective. I have repeatedly shot hand held, at 1/15th sec. the 14-140 at 140mm (280mm equivalent) with very crisp images resulting from the OIS. It works amazingly well.
    I just started playing with that slider and at 25mm it is incredible. That's one of the sharpest lenses I've seen. It's slow, but at around f5 or so it doesn't seem any different than the 20mm prime at 18mm. At the tele end it doesn't do so hot, but it is still pretty impressive on the wider angles. It's sharper and faster than the 14-45.

Just going off of the MFT chart, this looks like it could make for a pretty nice lens.

Edit: $800. Ah, there's the rub :)
    Last edited by drizek; August 12th, 2011 at 11:18 PM.

Real Name
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    $800. Ah, there's the rub :)
    Yes... the 14-140 is most economically acquired when you are buying your GH2!
    Don

I agree, the 14-140mm is the best high zoom ratio lens I have seen. Also, I am amazed at both its AF speed and its low noise level. Overall, this is a totally acceptably sharp and acceptably contrasty lens for 90% of my shooting. "Heavy," you say. Prior to my GH2 I shot Nikon D 300 and used the 24-70mm and the 70-200mm most of the time. Both were excellent lenses and great in relatively low light at f/2.8. However, weight-wise, these are like a semi-truck compared to the lightweight 14-140mm. Suffice it to say, I love my 14-130mm.

What I am trying to find out is which Panny Leica lens is their sharpest and most uniform at 14mm? Also, specifically, how does the 14mm compare with the 7-14mm at 14mm?

Best regards,
    Tom

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast