Ads by Google

Amazon

B&H Photo

Adorama

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Lightbulb 'First Complete E-P3 Review'

At 6400 ISO the G3 had less noise. Not really understanding why someone would pay $200 more for the E-P3 and not get the EVF.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by linkedit View Post
    At 6400 ISO the G3 had less noise. Not really understanding why someone would pay $200 more for the E-P3 and not get the EVF.
    If you don't need fast autofocus, GH2/G3 are ahead of the E-P3.....Looks like I'll be sticking with my E-PL2...

Quote Originally Posted by RT_Panther View Post
    If you don't need fast autofocus, GH2/G3 are ahead of the E-P3.....Looks like I'll be sticking with my E-PL2...
    I had read that the autofocus speed is only on the new lenses?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by linkedit View Post
    I had read that the autofocus speed is only on the new lenses?
    To get the full autofocus advantage, you must:
    1) Buy one of the new bodies
    2) Buy one of the new lenses

Otherwise, you won't have 100% full capability.

I'm sticking with my E-PL2 & NEX-3...

The devil's in the details...

There's so much info just out that, for me, the jury is still out.

For example, looking at the dpreview studio comparison, I find the results (in terms of color, contrast, detail and noise) more pleasing with the E-P3 up to 1600, then prefer the G3 for hight ISOs. With fast lenses (legacy), I rarely find I need more than 1600 with my E-p2.

The reviewer at Review: Olympus EP-3 (and 12mm F/2) at The Phoblographer has a more positive take. As does the reviewer at Robin Wong Both are pleased with increased DR and greater ability to PP the jpeg - though neither compare directly to the G3.

Don't get me wrong...my next body will be either a G3 or E-P3. The built-in evf is attractive, but honestly, I've never had a problem with the vf-2 - and the OLED may make its use less mandatory than with the E-P2.

Exciting choices in any case!
    Best,
    Tom

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by thearne3 View Post
    The devil's in the details...

There's so much info just out that, for me, the jury is still out.

For example, looking at the dpreview studio comparison, I find the results (in terms of color, contrast, detail and noise) more pleasing with the E-P3 up to 1600, then prefer the G3 for hight ISOs. With fast lenses (legacy), I rarely find I need more than 1600 with my E-p2.

The reviewer at Review: Olympus EP-3 (and 12mm F/2) at The Phoblographer has a more positive take. As does the reviewer at Robin Wong Both are pleased with increased DR and greater ability to PP the jpeg - though neither compare directly to the G3.

Don't get me wrong...my next body will be either a G3 or E-P3. The built-in evf is attractive, but honestly, I've never had a problem with the vf-2 - and the OLED may make its use less mandatory than with the E-P2.

Exciting choices in any case!
    Phoblographer does have a more positive outcome.
    The problem is the sensor. Tweaked or not, it's still the same one.

Panasonic has screwed Olympus here! If the E-P3 had the G3 or GH2 sensor, the decision to purchase would be a no-brainer....

8. The following member thanks RT_Panther for this post:

9. Default

To get the full autofocus advantage, you must:
    1) Buy one of the new bodies
    2) Buy one of the new lenses

Otherwise, you won't have 100% full capability.

I'm sticking with my E-PL2 & NEX-3...
    This is what really annoys. I would be prepared to upgrade my body every few years but at least I thought the lenses would be good for a decade. The only criticism I had of the MFT system was the slow AF for kids and wildlife.....their solution degrades my investment radically.
    M
    All a dream
    E-M5(black&gripped), P14, Oly17, PL25, PL45, Oly45, Oly9-18, Oly12-50, P45-200, FL-14, MAL-1,
    OM1, OM28/f2.8, OM50/f1.8, OM100/f2.8, Viv135/f2.8, OM35-70/f4, OM75-150/f4, T20

Phoblographer does have a more positive outcome.
    The problem is the sensor. Tweaked or not, it's still the same one.

Panasonic has screwed Olympus here! If the E-P3 had the G3 or GH2 sensor, the decision to purchase would be a no-brainer....
    I kinda think Panther is right......after all the pre-hype it is not a "Pro" camera body..but the two new lenses are! It is too bad that Olympus have not listened to the those who made reasonably good suggestions, for instance built in EVF rather than built in flash. an external flash will/would have been better for "Pros".
    OM D5+12-50mm + 17mm+9-18mm +-not collecting any more! (at this time!)
    "As nippy as Cheddar Cheese"
    www.billgordon.zenfolio.com

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gordon View Post
    I kinda think Panther is right......after all the pre-hype it is not a "Pro" camera body..but the two new lenses are! It is too bad that Olympus have not listened to the those who made reasonably good suggestions, for instance built in EVF rather than built in flash. an external flash will/would have been better for "Pros".
    Agree 100%. Lack of built in EVF is the most glaring flaw for serious photography in so many situations.
    All a dream
    E-M5(black&gripped), P14, Oly17, PL25, PL45, Oly45, Oly9-18, Oly12-50, P45-200, FL-14, MAL-1,
    OM1, OM28/f2.8, OM50/f1.8, OM100/f2.8, Viv135/f2.8, OM35-70/f4, OM75-150/f4, T20

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast