Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default what about the digital film?

I am very curious about this

I really don't know what I think of this. I have an old film camera that I still use because I like doing stuff by hand. I like developing as much as taking the pictures. I wouldn't mind having one of these for in my bag, in case I run out of film or something along those lines. Still don't know what to think of this. Nice find though.
    Olympus PEN E-PL1 (Slate Blue)
    -14-42mm f3.5-5.6 L

Minolta SRT 101
    -50mm f1.7 MC Rokkor-PF
    -28mm f2.8
    -135mm f2.8 MC Tele Rokkor-PF
    -Celtic 100-200mm f5.6

Minolta Hi-Matic F

Quote Originally Posted by kytra View Post
    I am very curious about this
    See this:-
    35mm Cartridge that Transforms Film Cameras into Digital

It was apparently announced on April 1st.

Such a cool idea, too bad.

Being a techy, I HATE April fools day
    Olympus PEN E-PL1 (Slate Blue)
    -14-42mm f3.5-5.6 L

Minolta SRT 101
    -50mm f1.7 MC Rokkor-PF
    -28mm f2.8
    -135mm f2.8 MC Tele Rokkor-PF
    -Celtic 100-200mm f5.6

Minolta Hi-Matic F

I thought about it being a joke when I wondered how the cartridge would know when you press the shutter and what the exposure is in order to start processing. However, it does look potentially feasible, maybe not delivering the full output of a full frame DSLR but still...

I'm glad it's an April Fool's because otherwise old lens prices would go even more through the roof than they have already.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyEisentrout View Post
    Such a cool idea, too bad.
    Being a techy, I HATE April fools day
    I agree. You see all these great ideas that sound really good, and because its April 1st. you just know its a joke. I liked the iCam this year, and the guy who claimed to have invented an interpolation method that made Fuji X100 pictures look better than a Leica M9. Unfortunately he'd used a Phase One MF digital back and dropped the picture onto an X100 shot so the exif data looked right. Got a lot of people very heated, very quickly.

This was first talked about nearly 10 years ago, when digital was taking off and people were trying to find ways of holding on to their film cameras a little longer. Nothing ever came of it though. Shame.

Mark

California or Guatemala or someplace mountainous

Although this one is a marketing trick, the concept isn't totally impossible. The limitation is user interface. The only way I can think of to have a generalized system that would work in the vast assortment of 135 cams would entail a double-ended system, with pieces in both the feeding and take-up spool areas. The latter would sense movement of the film-advance lever or knob, to switch the unit on. It would stay on until it notes a shutter snap and stores the image, then switch off. Any other mechanism would drain batteries VERY fast.

There were a couple of companies with prototypes or announced plans for this kind of thing back in 2000-2002. A search of Popular Science or some of the photo magazines would turn up something.

I think the advances in and drop in cost of digital bodies made it economically unfeasible even if they did get the kinks worked out.
    RB67, 124g, E-M10, E-PL5, XZ-2
    45/1.8, 17/2.8, 14-42 II, 40-150, Sigma 19, 30, 60mm
    A few of my photos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast