Originally Posted by pxpaulx
Too bad there aren't a dozen new lenses to match the half dozen (or more?) different new cameras.
To be fair, they did announce a 10-18/f4 ultra-wide, 35/f1.8 normal prime, and 16-50 pancake - all lenses that the E-mount desperately
Anyway, I've been pondering this release a bit more and I've had a couple of thoughts... Excepting the price, which is a hard pill to swollow, this is a release seemingly tailer made to my kind of shooting style. I've been shooting almost solely with a single prime (Nokton 25mm) for the last year or so, and I prefer the 35mm FoV, so the fixed lens aspect doesn't bother me. I love the look you get with a fast, 'normal-wide' on full-frame, for me this is the only real weakness of MFT. I like simple, clean and focussed design - yeah I could get a D800 and 35/f2 for not much more, and it would do a whole lot of things the RX1 couldn't, but it would also do a whole lot of things I dont want
it to do. For me you pay money for quality, not quantity - and a Zeiss lens attached to a Sony chip and electronics sounds like bloody good quality to me
I'd like to shell out the cash for this, and I'm even considering it as my sole companion on a 6-month Silk Road trip next year, but I'll be waiting to see how it stacks up with a few real world issues that actually affect the way I use a camera:
- Sensor and lens quality (obviously) - you're paying a lot of money for a tool which isn't really about anything else. This has to be amazing.
- AF speed and accuracy. Don't give a toodle about C-AF but I want S-AF to be faultless. CDAF has come a long way.
- MF feel - Fuji did a great job showing how badly manual focus-by-wire can be implimented. Likewise Pan/Oly have shown that it doesn't need to be an issue. I'd also like to see a practical way to pre-set zone-focus, as I'd use this for street alot.
- Aperture-ring feel - probably the #1 reason I have zero interest in the X-Pro 1 - it feels like a plastic toy from the '80s...
- User interface - I haven't used a Sony since the A100 and I want to see if it will let me do what I want to do without getting in the way...